Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Help wanted:  motor stuck when powered
Help wanted:  motor stuck when powered
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2019, 12:09 AM   #71
ralphfcooke is offline ralphfcooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Turntable AC motors are pretty much free running once up to speed and as a result cogging becomes more pronounced. Add a little consistent load, thicker oil or eddy brake and the cogging is reduced. It's a genuine free lunch as long as you don't over do it.
I think that only applies to motors with permanent magnet pole pieces. Hysteresis motors, at least the Papst ones I'm familiar with, and I believe also the Ashland, Bodine, and others of that type, are less efficient, but do not suffer from cogging.
Old 21st May 2019, 01:52 AM   #72
jneutron is offline jneutron  United States
diyAudio Member

What can be learned about motors and how they react both loaded and unloaded is huge.
I have found very little on how the magnetics react in a non linear fashion to load. The entire motion control industry seems to flounder when the rubber meets the road. I am working on that..

Jn
Old 21st May 2019, 04:40 AM   #73
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
..My neighborhood has 3 phase at ~23kV I no longer remember if it is wye or delta...(For some reason I think it might be grounded Delta, but who knows..)
Or cares. You get three hot wires and often a ground/neutral wire at your building service entrance. How they wrap around the street transformer is not your concern.

BTW: they often alternate wYe and Delta at each step-down to cancel stray currents.

I am startled, not shocked, that Center Philly still has 2-phase. Naturally residences would be fed 1-ph 230V CT from the pole/vault transformers.

No, they'd never supply 4KV to anybody who didn't have their own transformers or some HUGE motors.
Old 21st May 2019, 01:25 PM   #74
Kay Pirinha is offline Kay Pirinha  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banpuku View Post
SUCCESS!!! She's running. OK, I re-assembled the bottom bushing components and I changed the order of 2 of the components. The "star" should go on top of the "small ufo disc". Then the larger UGO disc goes on top of the "star". Forgive me in advance as I do not know the correct names for these parts. Here is the proper order of assembly starting from the bottom going to the top:

1. bronze bushing
2. felt oil ring
3. small UFO disc
4. star stabilizer
5. large UFO disc

See photos. I had #3 and #4 reversed order. This allowed the bronze bushing to move freely. Once the assembly order was correct, the bronze bushing was locked into place and thus kept the motor shaft in it's place.

THANK YOU! for all who contributed on this journey. I hope this thread helps out someone else in the future. I am so happy!

Well, that's exactly what I've suspected yet in #2 !

Best regards!
Old 21st May 2019, 04:53 PM   #75
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
Well, that's exactly what I've suspected yet in #2 !
In retrospect, we now know that Pat answered your question with unjustifiable confidence.

Let's remind him gently, in the spirit of camaraderie, how he answered your question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by banpuku >
I am very confident the motor stator is in the correct direction. Washers are OK as well.
Old 21st May 2019, 05:40 PM   #76
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
There's a nice way to minimize vibration from the motor but you need a spectrum analyzer and a vibration pickup like a small accelerometer sensor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galu View Post
The motor’s vibration will be transmitted to the record, contributing to turntable “rumble”.

Luckily most turntables have a built-in vibration sensor (aka "phono cartridge"), and spectrum analyzers are free software, just hook up to a sound card.

I have been thinking that something like a small tin can inverted on the TT plinth, with the stylus resting on the end of the tin, would make a decent way to pick up motor vibrations without rumble from the platter rotation mixed in (much). I haven't tried it yet.

Help wanted:  motor stuck when poweredHide this!Advertise here!