Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Help wanted:  motor stuck when powered
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2019, 11:43 PM   #11
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"Firstly is a run capacitor, not a motor start capacitor."
Yes Mark, there is no switchable starting capacitor in parallel with a run capacitor with this motor.

Suffice it to say that this motor has a single capacitor which is permanently connected in series with the auxiliary winding (also called the starting winding).

Strangely enough though, it's called a 'motor start capacitor' in the turntable manual!
Old 15th May 2019, 10:24 AM   #12
ralphfcooke is offline ralphfcooke  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you rotate the motor spindle when power is applied, using as much force as necessary, does the effort feel like a mechanical problem, or is there only a magnetic resistance?
Old 15th May 2019, 11:13 AM   #13
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

An important give-away is that before dis-assembly, all worked well. So it's unlikely that any of the parts all of a sudden have died at just this instance.

It heavily smells like an assembly error. I understand that your feeling is that you assembled it perfectly, that is a normal reaction.
Yet the evidence indicates otherwise.
Try to retrace your steps. Did you make pictures before-after?

Jan
Old 15th May 2019, 11:24 AM   #14
K.A.B is offline K.A.B  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Have you measure the stators are the caps new or old, old can alter to bad when power switch on.

When i restored an TD124 to a friend it was newer used broken they sayed what i was found vas one wire how was bad connected too the wiring loom check it again.
Old 15th May 2019, 12:38 PM   #15
banpuku is offline banpuku  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is an update:

1. I measured capacitance using the voltmeter. Both caps measured to spec: 1uF and 2uF. So, the caps are good.

2. Here are the measurements of the motor terminals. 2 sets of measurments. Using the continuity function on the VOM, here are the results:

black - blue: UL (unlimited)
black - orange/green: UL (unlimited)
blue - orange/green: 227 ohms

Then, measuring the resistance using the VOM:

black - blue: 665 ohms
black - orange/green: 427 ohms
blue - orange/green: 227 ohms

Not sure if this helps. Thoughts?

Pat
Old 15th May 2019, 12:43 PM   #16
banpuku is offline banpuku  United States
diyAudio Member

Further update:

1. I will retrace my assembly steps this afternoon and see if it helps. Certainly could be my issue when re-assembling.

2. The caps appear to be the original caps. Old. that said, they did measure to spec 1uF and 2uF.

3.If I rotate the motor spindle when power is applied, using as much force as necessary, it feels like a magnetic resistance keeping the motor stationary. It prevents me from turning the motor in either direction. I can feel the vibrating magnetic field. I do not get the sense that it is a mechanical interference issue.
Old 15th May 2019, 03:27 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

From your resistance readings:

227Ω is the auxiliary winding (capacitor goes in series with this winding)
427Ω is the main winding (the supply voltage goes across this winding)
665Ω is the sum of the two windings

These readings look OK so the windings are intact. The fault would appear to lie with your rewiring provided, as you say, the capacitor is fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg single-value capacitor motor.jpg (29.1 KB, 103 views)
Old 15th May 2019, 03:42 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

When checking your wiring to the coloured motor wires, make sure that:

Line voltage is applied across black and green/orange

Capacitor is connected across black and blue
Old 15th May 2019, 03:51 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

HOLD that last post! That doesn't seem to correspond to your wiring digram. I'm rechecking!
Old 15th May 2019, 04:00 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Got it the wrong way round! 427Ω is the auxiliary winding and 227Ω is the main winding!

Line should be across blue and green/orange
Capacitor should be across black and blue as stated earlier

Help wanted:  motor stuck when poweredHide this!Advertise here!