Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

So you think you want to play with tape: An Otari Story
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2019, 12:17 AM   #231
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Interestingly there are 11 pairs of 0.1uF bypass caps with a pair right near these op-amps. (I may add some more)

Scope shows no evidence of oscillation - I may need to dig out the 100MHz analog scope.

I did not look at the turn off behavior so I will need to revisit it. There may be a relatively simple fix or I may simply not care.

The biggest benefit comes from installing in the first stage which is muted. There was an incremental improvement in playback with the additional op-amps.
Old 14th August 2019, 09:05 AM   #232
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmmmm.... Rod Elliott also found this strange phenomena with TL072 chips in his crossover project, and put in a mute circuit to avoid it.......He said 4558s did NOT do this, but I'd hate to use those for anything!
Old 16th August 2019, 02:52 AM   #233
diyAudio Moderator

These replaced 4560s. The other machine with stock op-amps does not do this and I am 99.99% sure this one didn't before I changed the op-amps.

The day I forget to mute the pre-amp could be the day that I fry my bass amps and woofers so I will either need to fix this eventually or undo this mod - a shame because it's definitely an audible improvement.

I will not be changing out any more in this machine since modern high voltage op-amps appear to be unsuitable for audio use unless you use a mute circuit.

I will verify that the supplies collapse in a symmetrical manner, other than that there isn't much I can do unless I add a muting circuit.
Old 17th August 2019, 03:02 AM   #234
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Kevin,
Use a shorting relay to mute. That won't affect the sound quality.

-Chris
Old 17th August 2019, 07:24 AM   #235
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
I will not be changing out any more in this machine since modern high voltage op-amps appear to be unsuitable for audio use unless you use a mute circuit.
Man, that's a shame! Surely one of the geniuses here on the forum can come up with a solution. Bleeder resistors across the power supply caps? Lower the +/- V and use 4562s? Someone MUST have come across this before.
Old 17th August 2019, 09:30 PM   #236
diyAudio Moderator

I can think of several solutions and may try a few when I have a bit more time.

The LME49860 is reputedly nothing more than the high voltage version of the LM4562 so I suspect swapping it in with a lower PSU voltage probably isn't going to fix it.
Old 18th August 2019, 10:25 AM   #237
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
The LME49860 is reputedly nothing more than the high voltage version of the LM4562 so I suspect swapping it in with a lower PSU voltage probably isn't going to fix it.
Good point; but I have dozens of 4562s in my gear and have never encountered the problem you are describing. Hmmmm.... wonder if it is somehow power-supply related? Maybe you could shoe-horn in one of LV's NoNoiser circuits? D-Noizator: a magic active noise canceller to retrofit & upgrade any 317-based V.Reg.
Old 18th August 2019, 02:45 PM   #238
diyAudio Moderator

It's definitely something I need to measure, the schematics indicate that the supplies are symmetrical or should be depending on the loading.
Old Yesterday, 02:01 AM   #239
diyAudio Moderator

It's pretty much the op-amps.. LOL I installed some more tonight, and it got even worse. I will likely add muting relays at the output at some point.

Apparently the better op-amps are audible, although given the whole record and playback process I sort of wonder why. I figured the process was so flawed that replacing a device orders of magnitude closer to mathematical perfection would be inaudible due to the gross errors elsewhere, this doesn't seem to be the case. I will admit I have made a lot of changes to this machine that contribute to the improved performance so at some point I need to measure a few things and see how good this machine is against the original performance claims.

I should probably take some more pictures of this machine, it looks a whole lot less shabby than when I got it. (Still some obvious signs of wear and tear but a lot of things have been replaced..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190819_211524.jpg (500.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20190819_210007.jpg (626.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20190819_210128.jpg (534.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20190819_210141.jpg (364.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20190819_210148.jpg (357.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20190819_210201.jpg (272.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20190819_211553.jpg (436.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20190819_220407.jpg (492.6 KB, 11 views)

So you think you want to play with tape: An Otari StoryHide this!Advertise here!