Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

So you think you want to play with tape: An Otari Story
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2019, 03:34 AM   #171
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi dotneck335,
Unless you're going to use a premium, low rise socket, you are better off soldering them in. Same is true if you have already decided to use a particular chip. -Chris
Fortunately, my friend found these sockets for me, which will do nicely, at only 18 each!:
8 pin DIP IC Socket Machined .3": Phoenix Enterprises -PE- Connectors IC Sockets Tools Cable Wire
Old 21st July 2019, 04:40 AM   #172
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi dotneck335,
Ahh, no. Those are from China and I have already tried them. The machining isn't very good for one.

You need to use Augat sockets if you intend to socket your chips. The best ones to reduce capacitance are the ones held on a carrier strip that are actually separate and they don't have any height to speak of. Kevin knows the ones I'm talking about. Once you solder them in, you remove the carrier and you just have a row of machined holes in the PCB with a row of thick pins on the solder side.

You can use the Augat sockets that look like the ones you linked to, but they will cost more than what was listed for the copies. Given what you are trying to do, wouldn't it be a complete waste to use crappy sockets? Those will be more difficult to insert the pins in, leading to bent pins at best. Speaking from experience here.

-Chris
Old 21st July 2019, 07:41 AM   #173
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi dotneck335,
Ahh, no. Those are from China and I have already tried them. The machining isn't very good for one. You need to use Augat sockets if you intend to socket your chips. Given what you are trying to do, wouldn't it be a complete waste to use crappy sockets? Those will be more difficult to insert the pins in, leading to bent pins at best. Speaking from experience here. -Chris
Thanks for your reply. No, of course I don't want to use inferior parts. But when I looked for Augat sockets, they were ~$5.00 EACH!! That's outta my league---my machine is an 8-track, so we're talking 48 sockets here. The chips I want to use (LM4562)are only $1.11 each, so..... you really have used those exact ones from Phoenix Enterprises and found them to be junk? I know I have seen some "machined" sockets on eBay that were Chinee and looked horrible, much worse than the ones from PE.
Old 21st July 2019, 01:12 PM   #174
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A good compromise are the sockets from Mill-Max (referenced in a previous post) which are excellent quality and cost less than the op-amps in question.

110-43-308-41-001000 Mill-Max Manufacturing Corp. | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey

50 of these will run you $30.48
Old 21st July 2019, 09:45 PM   #175
PRR is online now PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Do't use junk sockets on good gear.

The Mill-Max are widely used in discerning studio gear.
Old 21st July 2019, 10:56 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Do't use junk sockets on good gear.
The Mill-Max are widely used in discerning studio gear.
Noted; good point. NOW I'm down to deciding between these Mill-Max parts:
110-47-308-41-001000 @ $0.336 (qnty 100)
110-43-308-41-001000 @ $0.583
The only difference I see is the contact (clip) on the more expensive part is "30 Au" and the other is "Au flash"
So the question is, is it worth the $25 difference??
Old 22nd July 2019, 01:15 AM   #177
diyAudio Moderator

That is a judgment call only you can make. Either ought to be satisfactory over some % of the machine's remaining life span. If you never remove the ICs again the flash ought to be OK, if you do the additional expense of the 30um may be worth it.
Old 22nd July 2019, 01:39 AM   #178
diyAudio Moderator

Hi dotneck335,
Yes, Millmax are also very good.

Gold is a soft metal that wears away very easily. The thicker coating will survive more IC changes than the flash type. If you aren't going to replace these ICs again, why are you even looking at sockets? If you are, why are you considering the flash type finish? It all comes down to a very easily answered question. In many locations, NE5532 would be fine. In low noise applications, LM4562 are the right answer (or OPA2134). You really only have a few locations where replacing the ICs might make any kind of reasonable difference.

LM4562 for 1.11 each? Did I miss something? Where? I'm going to get me some!

-Chris
Old 22nd July 2019, 01:42 AM   #179
diyAudio Moderator

DigiKey...

LME49860 which I require are no bargain.. I am going to try one in the tape replay pre-amp of the MKIII-2 since it can be plugged in without other changes and see whether anything changes for the better.

All of my machines use either 18V or 20V rails.
Old 22nd July 2019, 02:09 AM   #180
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Kevin,
I show them at $2.47 each, or $1.13226 for 2520 pieces. Canadian of course, so there is a substantial disadvantage where prices are concerned. What is the quantity for $1.11 each in USD?

-Chris

Edit, $4.04 each for LME49720P, $5.90 for your LME49860 in single quantity, surface mount only.

So you think you want to play with tape: An Otari StoryHide this!Advertise here!