Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

So you think you want to play with tape: An Otari Story
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 01:52 AM   #151
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I am not sure of exact dates for the MTR-15, but I believe it is pretty late. i.e. late 1990s if not later. I've never seen one. The model I am interested in is the 15N..

Edit:
Found this: Test Drive: The Otari MTR-15 2-track Recorder - Radio And Production

Seems like it arrived in the early 1990s. This may be the A-810 killer I have been looking for, seriously take a look. I'm really impressed.
Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM   #152
diyAudio Moderator

A couple of pictures of the MX-50N, I like it enough apparently that it is currently the only deck connected to the system..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190717_200602.jpg (378.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20190717_200459.jpg (451.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20190717_200448.jpg (375.6 KB, 26 views)
Old Yesterday, 03:49 AM   #153
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Actually these are.. See data sheet.
Link to Muse Bipolars: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors | Capacitors | DigiKey
Thanks for the link! BiPolar they are! I notice that the higher voltage caps have less ESR, although slightly bigger and slightly more expensive. Which did you choose? Certainly no more than 25 volt rating is NEEDED, but the lower ESR is attractive. I'll have to see what will fit in my machine, I guess.
Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM   #154
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
.....Seems like it arrived in the early 1990s. This may be the A-810 killer I have been looking for, seriously take a look. I'm really impressed.
Yes, impressive. Don't know if it's a Studer killer. The Studers are very elegant machines, no doubt. And probably have some snob appeal, as well. Not sure how much performance advantage that brings. And I'll bet the Otari is much less $$$---eh?
Old Today, 01:58 AM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssB View Post
I think that's the Hitachi HA12017 which is SIL-8 with a missing pin. It was intended for low noise RIAA preamps. I still use a pair in an old preamp I built in the 80's. Pretty quiet but very mediocre PSRR.
I have the datasheet / RIAA appnote if you want it.
Just looking at the data sheet I have, "mediocre" does not accurately describe the HA12017's PSRR---it is downright ****-poor! ON the negative rail, it's only -45db!! An LM4562 is -110db.
Old Today, 02:20 AM   #156
diyAudio Moderator

I went mostly with 25V and 50V Muse. Modern caps have shrunk a bit since these machines were made and you should be able to fit higher voltage parts if their improved performance warrants it.

I've decided to go out on a limb, op-amps rated for max supply voltage of 44V are pretty rare, but necessary in a machine with +/-20V rails when its owner decided to keep the original supply voltages. Turns out there is one pretty good choice but now only available in SOIC, the LME49860, even part of the sound series from TI... Well I guess we'll see how that goes...

So you think you want to play with tape: An Otari StoryHide this!Advertise here!