Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

So you think you want to play with tape: An Otari Story
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 12:05 AM   #141
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

These machines were pretty expensive in their heyday so they were a little better built than the typical consumer stuff.

Workhorses and not as sophisticated as the Studer stuff, but much easier to work on. (If I can do it, there are plenty of others who can too.)
Old Today, 02:54 AM   #142
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Almost all coupling caps in Otari decks are BP (bi-polar aka non-polar types). I use Nichicon Muse in the audio path and somewhat less expensive Nichicon BP types in the switching circuits. The MX-55 appears to have come with Nichicon Muse in the audio path by default.
After inspecting the schematic more closely, that does appear to be the case! WOW!! BP types are supposed to have lower distortion than polarized ones. Do you still think that they have deteriorated to the point of needing replacement? I know that regular electrolytics do age, but what about bipolar types?
Old Today, 02:58 AM   #143
dotneck335 is offline dotneck335  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
These machines were pretty expensive in their heyday so they were a little better built than the typical consumer stuff.
Workhorses and not as sophisticated as the Studer stuff, but much easier to work on. (If I can do it, there are plenty of others who can too.)
Definitely true, and that's why I bought one. MUCH better than the Tascams of the day. My machine cost $5900 new!! The best 1/2" 8-track I could find in the day. Do you know if they made LATER 8-tracks than the MX-5050 MKIII-8 model? I've seen later 2 and 4 track machines, but not 8.

So you think you want to play with tape: An Otari StoryHide this!Advertise here!