Another DIY Turntable ....Rega style

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

A crazy idea or bad idea !!!!!

I started making a turntable with the elements of a Rega 2 and these dimensions.
Then with:
best elements sub platter and axe
a better insulated motor mount

You can see attached a pdf file with more details

Serge

Attachments

• DIY TURNTABLE.pdf
    780.1 KB · Views: 86
  • DiyTurntable.png
    DiyTurntable.png
    432.8 KB · Views: 367
The glass placed on that direct aluminum sub platter is a bad idea.
Any bearing issues are amplified directly and spread across the glass let alone feedback from where its placed.
I would put a softer interface between them and get a thick rubber mat for some isolation

The way it is now this design would add colorations along with the music

Regards
David

The glass placed on that direct aluminum sub platter is a bad idea.
Any bearing issues are amplified directly and spread across the glass let alone feedback from where its placed.
I would put a softer interface between them and get a thick rubber mat for some isolation

The way it is now this design would add colorations along with the music

Regards
David

I have also an acrylic platter with this sub platter .....perhaps a better solution

Attachments

• DiyTurntable3.jpg
    DiyTurntable3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:
The pic is a little out of focus but to make matters worse there is an air pocket
Now right under the platter. A possible resonant chamber
It would appear Rega wanted a TT to make a sound instead of making one dead
Possible budget decisions at work..,

Nice job, but I believe the plate between the bearing & tone arm will just allow bearing noise to easily transfer between the two, not good. One of the plinth's jobs is to attenuate noise between the two, so you should cut the plate in 2 & have a substantial gap between them. Or even better mount the arm on a separate isolated arm pod.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks for your advices

Or even better mount the arm on a separate isolated arm pod.

Next job perhaps

Take it further, suppose you can vacuum down a record against an aluminum vs acrylic platter with this design
Do you think it would transmit a coloration to the stylus ?

The Linn would probably ring like a telephone and The Ittock arm does ring like one.
Terribly colored arm
Both should be dead and transparent and were long bettered by more advanced designs

Some like this “house “ sound and they know what their doing

Regards
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.