PS wiring help: Thorens TD165

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’m customizing my TD 165 and adding an IEC power connector. The wiring schematic is very straightforward for the turntable, see below. Can anyone tell me which wire should be neutral and the other hot? Does it matter? Yes, I’m adding a ground.

AA0C40EF-2ABC-4224-9DB0-B4C7DA32369E.jpeg

I’m pretty new to electronics, so forgive me if it should be obvious.
Edit: image source.

Last edited:
As drawn you would have to say the live (hot) feed should be the one with the switch in it ... which is kind of at odds with the red/black convention.

That picture is from the Thorens manual, but I have never seen one wired that way. As I recall on mine the hot lead goes through the switch then to the red and blue leads, with one going through a cap. The two black leads from the motor go to the Neutral.

There are two windings in the motor, one with red/black wires the other with blue/black wires. I seem to remember that they exit the motor red|black|black|blue, with the black closest to the red being the other end of the "red" winding, etc. Definitely on my TD160 the 2 black wires go to the same terminal, the other end of which is one of the mains wires.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Service manuals can and do often have errors in them and so what you describe makes more sense... and that's why I say 'as drawn'.

Melamst should physically confirm the connection/wiring in the actual unit and base any decision on that although electrically as far as normal user (customer) operation of the TT goes it doesn't matter.

It might matter to someone sticking a hand inside and thinking it was electically off though ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.