Choosing proper capacitor for drive motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a very nice condition early 1970's Keith Monks Gemini (dual platter) record cleaning machine that I have been upgrading. I just replaced the vacuum pump with the new KNF pump used in the new Keith Monk machines.

The drive motor for the thread spooler has stopped working, so I'm just starting to troubleshoot that.

The capacitors used in both the thread spooler drive motor/gear box and the arm drive motor/gearbox (same motors and capacitors used in both) are over 40 years old and need to be replaced. I know the values, but I'm not sure what type I should replace them with?

I have included pictures.

I have a very nice condition early 1970's Keith Monks Gemini (dual platter) record cleaning machine that I have been upgrading. I just replaced the vacuum pump with the new KNF pump used in the new Keith Monk machines.

The drive motor for the thread spooler has stopped working, so I'm just starting to troubleshoot that.

The capacitors used in both the thread spooler drive motor/gear box and the arm drive motor/gearbox (same motors and capacitors used in both) are over 40 years old and need to be replaced. I know the values, but I'm not sure what type I should replace them with?

I have included pictures.

Here are the pictures:

Attachments

• Motor Capacitor 1.jpg
    Motor Capacitor 1.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Motor Capacitor 2.jpg
    Motor Capacitor 2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Motor assembly.jpg
    Motor assembly.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Drive Motor Gear Box.jpg
    Drive Motor Gear Box.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Keith Monks Gemini RCM.jpg
    Keith Monks Gemini RCM.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Deck Open.jpg
    Deck Open.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 38
  • KNF Pump.jpg
    KNF Pump.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 40
Why do you think the caps need replacing? They're not electrolytic, so are likely to be fine.
People are still buying NOS oil and paper caps from the 50's and 60's to build into new projects .

Ok... well I will need to check their values then, not sure how accurate that will be with my Fluke 87?

Anyone with experience with these type of motor/gear boxes?

Is there a safe lubricant I could spray onto each end of the spindle? Or, would that ruin the grease inside?

I have searched for replacement motor without any luck online. Sent one of Keith Monks dealers a message, but they want almost $250 for a replacement... if they even have one.

Really hoping there is a way to save this one and possibly have both serviced.
They are only 1 RPM drive motors, hardly any load.

You need to test the caps for (electrical) leakage, if they are leaky they may fail dramatically in the future. If they are good they will likely last many more decades.

Easiest is to just replace with appropriate new mains-rated (X or Y as appropriate) ones. If you don't understand X and Y class caps, its time to learn.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.