Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Next expensive audio gear
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2019, 12:27 PM   #11
dreamth is online now dreamth  Romania
diyAudio Member

English is weird...It has I and We, but only You for both singular and plural...
Old 20th April 2019, 12:56 PM   #12
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Now imagine how confusing european languages are taught to english natives. Esp when, as soon as you thing you understand it you find the second person plural is used in a singular sense as a mark of respect!

None of which changes the fact that there is no evidence of this effect you speak of.
Old 20th April 2019, 02:01 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

You had it once, i think:

<<"Thy" is an English word that means "your" in the second person singular.
English used to have a distinction between singular and plural in the second person, such that we had the following:
  • Singular: thou, thee, thy
  • Plural: ye, you, your
Nowadays, we just have "you" and "your" in place of those six distinct words (which is why in nonstandard English, we have things like "y'all" or "youse" to distinguish 2nd-person plural from 2nd-person singular).>>

None of this change the fact that i don't need to prove anything , but YOU have all my respect SIR!

So...what's the next expensive audio gear?Let's just name it!
Old 20th April 2019, 02:12 PM   #14
cliffforrest is offline cliffforrest  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Using the impersonal "One" solves the problem in a more educated way.

But it does sound a little stilted and old-fashioned.
Old 20th April 2019, 02:33 PM   #15
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Its the very rare XTZ A100D3. Its origin is still unclear, and too few people knows its capability to sound warmer, clearer, more detailed and spacios than any amplifier under 100000dollars. One of the funny things about it is that it soundwise has all the qualities of valveamps but none of the drawback. It was substituted by a new model thatt has an insane price to quality gap but still doesnt have the same PRAT as its older brother
Old 22nd April 2019, 04:07 AM   #16
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

In informal Southern US talk, "yous" (also "you-all") is plural "you". But you need to know how to talk like that to carry-off such an example of "bad English". And it is never done in print except to be funny.

I have stopped talking about some books. I mentioned one, and ABE.com prices shot up beyond what it is really worth. OTOH, I saved my money to buy the Cherry book, and a year later I was trying to sell my copy (for cash but also to share the info) and then he released it for free.
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:31 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
II saved my money to buy the Cherry book, and a year later I was trying to sell my copy (for cash but also to share the info) and then he released it for free.

Next expensive audio gearHide this!Advertise here!