Low Cost DIY 3D Printed Tonearm with Carbon Fiber Arm Tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Actually that could help damp arm vibrations too, so a double win. Though electrical tape tends to get sticky and horrible, and cooking your tonearm to shrink heatshrink might damage something.

Very true about the electrical tape. I've used some brands that are less prone to this, but since it's usually years later, I've never actually figured out which brand works best.

On this arm in particular it would definitely be safe to heatshrink around the CF armtube. The CA won't break down at those temps, and the plastic headshell won't melt unless you really dwell on it for an excessively long time.

Regards,
Owen

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
...If you try and print these parts on a low end extruding type (FDM) printer, I can almost guarantee they will not work. The dimensional accuracy and strength of the resulting parts will probably not result in a workable tonearm. You might be able to get it to work with some advanced tricks and post-processing, but it's not a great place to start...

Hmm. I like a challenge! :D

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hmm. I like a challenge! :D

Do it! A few dollars worth of filament is all it would cost to find out ;)

There's a free printer at the public library here... I debated doing a test run on that to see how it would turn out, but like all free things, the wait times are usually several hours, and then I think you only get 1 hour to print your part, which isn't really enough to do much of anything. Maybe the headshell could be printed in that much time...

Give it a shot and let me know how it turns out!

Regards,
Owen

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Will do. Just waiting for the spiral TLs to finish...:)

Attachments

• IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    541.1 KB · Views: 376
HI, I just joined after finding this and I am very interested in making something like it. I have 15 x 1210 all with damaged tonearms and didn't want to spend £40 just for the silver tube. I have lots of experience 3d printing so will take a good look and see if anything is possible. If not I needed a reason to try a resin printer and I am sure that would be good enough for these parts.

If I can do anything I will post pictures.

Can anyone offer alternatives to the silver tube on the 1210 without paying £40 - £60 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.