Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Low Cost DIY 3D Printed Tonearm with Carbon Fiber Arm Tube
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2019, 05:56 AM   #11
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrennwa View Post
Wow!
My thought
Next make one for b&o tangentials that takes p-mounts. You wuld make thousands happy since b&o has their own mounttype and pickups at almost.umobtainable and expensive. So many exelent b&o turntables in thriftshops that doesnt have a pickup
Old 21st April 2019, 12:15 PM   #12
Pella1 is offline Pella1  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Very interesting and well done!
Old 22nd April 2019, 02:13 PM   #13
grayblob is offline grayblob  United States
diyAudio Member

This looks really impressive, print quality is nice. Your azimuth looks really off from the one photo? Is that a result of the angle the photo was taken at, the arms natural resting position or something else?
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:40 PM   #14
primalsea is offline primalsea  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Exceptional work! Just really fantastic.

It would be interesting to compare the output from the cartridge to resonances on various points on the tonearm when playing some music.
Old 24th April 2019, 02:08 AM   #15
Temaad is offline Temaad  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi, I agree with Gigigirl, the 103 need a high mass arm to perform at it's best. Where you able to determine the effective mass of the arm? Cheers
Old 24th April 2019, 03:57 AM   #16
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

I fiddled with a few other settings on the table this evening (mostly motor) but also took the time to run the measurements requested.

First up was the horizontal and vertical resonance tests to determine combined resonance of the DL-103 and the arm. The results were 10Hz in the horizontal direction, and 11Hz in the vertical direction. Given most people target 10Hz as ideal, I would say this is a pretty good arm to combine with the 103. This perhaps makes the EM a touch high for some other cartridges, but I only intend to use it with the DL-103.

I may have forgotten to mention it, but this is a 305mm (12") effective length arm which is probably at least part of the reason for the higher EM.

I also ran the Azimuth test tracks on that album, and it's also pretty spot-on. Those are attached here. Channel balance is within 0.1dB and phase is roughly 1.5 degrees out. That's should give very good cancellation which is what that test track is intended to do. I think the picture grayblob referred to is simply showing the cartridge at a bit of an angle because that's how it's resting in the holder.

gigigirl,

I have one spare complete set of parts to build one of these if you're interested, including everything needed to make the arm. If you are interested, please send me a PM and we can figure something out. Are you looking to building the arm yourself, or would you need me to build it? I'd like to have someone build it up and provide feedback if possible.

Regards,
Owen
Attached Images
File Type: png RMS Level Azimuth db.PNG (38.1 KB, 204 views)
File Type: png Phase.PNG (35.7 KB, 200 views)
Old 24th April 2019, 04:13 AM   #17
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Default Very intersted

Hi OPC, yes very interested in obtaining one of these. I am currently using a Merlin 12 " Titanium Ref Arm that also has a reasonably high effective mass. So it would be able to try each arm against each other using a Denon 103, which I also have. I am also pretty sure I can put it together myself. Will PM you, cheers
Old 24th April 2019, 07:28 PM   #18
naz is offline naz  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to naz
Also curious about files or maybe purchasing some of the 3d printed parts. Let us know...
Old 24th April 2019, 09:53 PM   #19
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Naz,

I'm happy to share the files, but there are a few caveats:

1. Absolutely no commercial sales of these parts.
2. No unauthorized group buys.
3. Personal use only.
4. I am not responsible if you spend a bunch of money printing these parts and your tonearm doesn't work out.

Some additional printing info:

Not all printing methods are the same when it comes to plastic 3D printing. I know this is stating the obvious for some, but this is an important thing to note. There is a massive difference in the accuracy of the prints, the strength of the parts, the materials and properties of the plastics, and the stability, longevity, machine-ability, and compatibility of the various parts. Some parts need to be tapped for M5 or M6 threads, and this probably isn't possible with some 3D printing methods. Here's a link to a very good set of articles explaining all this if you're new to 3D printing:

HP MJF vs. SLS: A 3D Printing Technology Comparison | 3D Hubs

If you try and print these parts on a low end extruding type (FDM) printer, I can almost guarantee they will not work. The dimensional accuracy and strength of the resulting parts will probably not result in a workable tonearm. You might be able to get it to work with some advanced tricks and post-processing, but it's not a great place to start.

I know the parts coming off HP's MJF printer are of excellent quality, and exhibit good dimensional accuracy and excellent strength. The parts shown here were printed on this process. I would imagine SLS, SLA, and DLP prints would also work pretty well. The base and the armtube magnet mount both include internal tunnels for wire routing that would not be possible to machine or mold.

If there is sufficient interest, I would definitely consider doing a small production run of the kits, but it would not be done at cost, as endeavors like this take a great deal of time and effort. A complete kit would probably be in the $300-$350 ballpark for all the parts needed to build a complete arm.

If people are interested, please let me know and we can start a list. I think at least 10 arms would be needed to make it worthwhile.

Regards,
Owen
Attached Files
File Type: zip TONEARM_3D_PRINTED_PARTS_V2.zip (189.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 25th April 2019, 08:15 PM   #20
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago  Europe
diyAudio Member

It's possible a 9" tonearm with 25gr effective mass?

Low Cost DIY 3D Printed Tonearm with Carbon Fiber Arm TubeHide this!Advertise here!