RJM Audio Emerald Phono Stage Help Desk

Ok I found a little more time to work on this some. Just leaves the transformer now and umbilical...

Attachments

• IMG_20190607_134122.jpg
    IMG_20190607_134122.jpg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 825
Thank you RJM.

Ok moving on to the transformer casing are there any do's or don'ts that I should be aware of? I recall your recommendation of twisting all wiring (except mains earth) but is there anything else? Spacing of the transformer and DBRB board for example? Also is it ok to add an LED into the transformer case? If so, wired from the rectified side of the board? 240V mains-in spaced away from the DC out wires is another question?

Many thanks.

I have built the Emerald and more recently the Sapphire Headphone amplifier.
For testing I used a single 32va transformer.

Now that I am about to move all the boards to a rack mount chassis I thought to improve the power supply and connections..

I installed dual 32 va transformers with single bridges and canon connectors....

Wow!.... there is just no comparison....it's like I upgraded from a $500 circuit to a $5000 circuit....
Now playing lp after lp..... :)
(Where is that copy of Roger the Engineer...he said looking hopefully at 10,000 un-categorised LPs :eek:)

Hi Richard,

I am thinking of building the Emerald and have a some questions. This will be an MM only implementation.

I have a few MM cartridges that range from 1.3mV to 4.5mV output. The low output cartridge will need about 47dB gain. It looks like changing R3 to a higher value would lower the 57dB gain. I am correct here.

Can the 47k be changed to say 100k without effecting performance.

cheers

Hi Richard: I'm debugging my setup; maybe you have a quick idea?
I put together the Emerald - it works fine, but there is a very audible hum (even at 5% volume) whenever I connect the phono stage to the turntable. Grounding does not help, nor lifting the grounds of amp/phono stage with a cheater plug. The hum disappears if I unplug one of the channels from turntable to phono stage.

Hi Richard: I'm debugging my setup; maybe you have a quick idea?
I put together the Emerald - it works fine, but there is a very audible hum (even at 5% volume) whenever I connect the phono stage to the turntable. Grounding does not help, nor lifting the grounds of amp/phono stage with a cheater plug. The hum disappears if I unplug one of the channels from turntable to phono stage.

Also, I noticed supply measures as +/- 12.5V - is that normal?