Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

RJM Audio Emerald Phono Stage Help Desk
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2019, 01:13 PM   #21
WntrMute2 is offline WntrMute2  United States
diyAudio Member

I was reading somewhere that since the traces within the board are not twisted there is little reason to twisting leads within the case. As you can see in post #2 I didn't twist any of my wires and have no audible hum or noise.

Not to discount RJM's advice as he has forgotten more than I'll ever know.
Old 16th May 2019, 02:30 PM   #22
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

Well, the thing is the traces on the boards are usually backed by the ground plane so there is very little inductance. The lead wires, on the other and, often form very large loops when not twisted together.
Old 16th May 2019, 02:39 PM   #23
WntrMute2 is offline WntrMute2  United States
diyAudio Member

Makes sense.
Old 16th May 2019, 08:57 PM   #24
cal16v is offline cal16v  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm View Post
Both, or rather everything. I usually braid the power (V++,V--,COM) together, and twist the signal wiring (IN+,IN-) and (OUT+/OUT-) pairs. AC wiring (live, neutral) are twisted together, earth is separate. Individual secondary outputs twisted together.

See this post for examples. Comment about case size applies here too, but yours is just that little bit larger and more accessible, so you should be ok I think.
Thanks for that info. The enclosure is 222 x 146 x 55 for the record.

Looking at the pics it seems you've used 4-pin plugs. I planned on using 3 pin plugs but these don't allow for a mains earth wire to run between both enclosures. I'm now thinking I should switch to a 4 pin setup?

EDIT:

I suppose I could run an earth strap external to the umbilical if it's possible (wise?) to sit both enclosures on top of each other?

Thanks

Last edited by cal16v; 16th May 2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 16th May 2019, 11:12 PM   #25
rjm is offline rjm  Japan
Richard Murdey
diyAudio Member

No, I use three pin XLR connectors for the power. The amplifier chassis does not need to be earthed, only the power supply.
Old 16th May 2019, 11:44 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Excellent. Thank you
Old 22nd May 2019, 04:05 AM   #27
DRONE7 is offline DRONE7  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

My boards arrived today. Very impressed at the quality !!

Briefly contemplated finding a picture frame and hanging them on the wall until the rest of the components arrive.. :-)

Then the next parcel opened had some of them so just waiting for the OPA27s which should be here tomorrow if the tracking proves accurate.
Old 23rd May 2019, 01:20 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

I note the BOM states capacitors C10-13 are not needed if using OPA27 yet all the builds here and the build on the project page have them installed.

Are they recommended even with OPA27 ? (Mouser did not have them anyway so I didn't order them but thought to check here in case something had changed ?)
Old 23rd May 2019, 02:41 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE7 View Post
I note the BOM states capacitors C10-13 are not needed if using OPA27 yet all the builds here and the build on the project page have them installed.

Are they recommended even with OPA27 ? (Mouser did not have them anyway so I didn't order them but thought to check here in case something had changed ?)
The build instructions I received states;

Quote:
C10-13 are optional 0.1uF ceramic bypass capacitors and are not required with low bandwidth op amps like the NE5534A etc
Don't know if OPA27 are considered low bandwidth...

HTH
Old 23rd May 2019, 03:45 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal16v View Post
Don't know if OPA27 are considered low bandwidth...

HTH
Neither do I...
I looked at their Data sheets and NE5534A listed at 10MHz and OPA27gp at 8MHz so presume the OPA27gp is "low bandwidth"
Assuming I'm not comparing apples with oranges in trying to interpret the datasheets...

Perhaps I'll just get the caps and bung 'em in so any change I may make to opamps later won't require dismantling to solder them on..

RJM Audio Emerald Phono Stage Help DeskHide this!Advertise here!