Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Humming noise coming from TT
Humming noise coming from TT
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2019, 07:14 AM   #1
Ben Culley is offline Ben Culley  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Humming noise coming from TT

Hi All,

I have recently finished building a turntable with a linear tracking tonearm.

I have set up everything and I noticed a humming sound through my speakers when I set down the needle onto the vinyl.

I have realised that it is caused by the Aquarium air pump. When I turn off the pump there is no noise. I have tried plugging there pump into a different socket on the other side of the room via an extension lead but I am still getting the humming sound when it is conected.

Can anyone help me with this? Do I need to get some sort of filter to stop the humming noise?

Thanks in advance

Ben
Old 17th April 2019, 11:22 AM   #2
indianajo is offline indianajo  United States
diyAudio Member

I suggest you take the air pump out of the turntable and put it somewhere else. Air can be moved around in flexible hoses. A tank can act as a local accumulator. Motors and transformers can emit magnetic flux at the line frequency.
Amp builders spend a lot of money to encapsulate transformers in steel cases and behind additional steel walls from the high gain circuitry. A magnetic phono cartridge and the wires from it end directly in a high gain point.
Old 17th April 2019, 12:15 PM   #3
Osvaldo de Banfield is offline Osvaldo de Banfield  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Culley View Post
I have set up everything and I noticed a humming sound through my speakers when I set down the needle onto the vinyl.
Surely the magnetic vibration (Magnetostriction) of the core of the pump's iron core is transmitted via the TT to the disk and reproduced by the capsule. Increase vibration isolation or more over, change one of them away the other.
Old 18th April 2019, 06:10 AM   #4
Ben Culley is offline Ben Culley  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much for your replies.

I have solved the problem. The pulsating air from the pump was causing vibration in the air chamber. The stylus was picking this up.

I have connected the air via a ‘Smoothing tank’ and now there is no humming!

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D84ED432-3C6C-4F4C-8A78-415FB359FDDB.jpg (618.8 KB, 54 views)
Old 27th April 2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Audiofirst is offline Audiofirst  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Culley View Post
Thanks very much for your replies.

I have solved the problem. The pulsating air from the pump was causing vibration in the air chamber. The stylus was picking this up.

I have connected the air via a ‘Smoothing tank’ and now there is no humming!

Cheers
That's a serious turntable you have there, Ben!

Humming noise coming from TTHide this!Advertise here!