Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Need Help With CEC FR-808 Turntable Wiring
Need Help With CEC FR-808 Turntable Wiring
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2019, 12:47 AM   #21
Galu is offline Galu  Scotland
diyAudio Member

OK - It's getting late in the UK for puzzling out wiring diagrams, but it looks like the bottom right terminal may simply be a support terminal for the 200k resistor and that the 4 (K) 150 cap is a substitute for the failed can cap.

I hope Ralph will come back with his opinion.

Here's a pertinent question - did the motor run smoothly before you started the refurbishment? If so, we may be agonising over nothing!
Old 15th April 2019, 12:59 AM   #22
breadhead is offline breadhead  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, when I got it I turned it on and got zapped. A short somewhere. I don't know if the motor ran at all but I was planning on doing a re-cap.
Old 15th April 2019, 02:05 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadhead View Post
Well, when I got it I turned it on and got zapped. A short somewhere.
Well, that would have been good to know at the outset of this thread!

In the absence of any other opinions, I suggest you reinstate the circuit minus the can capacitor. You will have to support the 200k resistor along with the neutral and black connections some other way. Then measure the resistance between line and neutral (with switch at on position) and report back before 'going live'.
Old 25th April 2019, 01:01 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Hello Galu. Do you own this table? If so, could you post a picture of the wiring? Thank you.

Jim
Old 25th April 2019, 03:11 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

No Jim, I do not own this table.

If a 'single-value capacitor motor', the main winding will be connected directly across line and neutral.

The auxiliary winding and series capacitor combination will also be connected across line and neutral.

Compare with the circuit diagram in post #6 where the 'run leg' is the main winding and the 'start leg' is the auxiliary winding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg single-value capacitor motor.jpg (29.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Turntable Wiring.jpg (471.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 25th April 2019, 05:53 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Thank you Galu. I will see what I can do.

Best,
Jim
Old 25th April 2019, 08:24 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hello again Galu. I measured resistance on the motor wires. I got 309 ohms black to brown, 175 ohms black to gray. I don't get a measurement from brown to gray?

Thank you,
Jim
Old 25th April 2019, 10:09 PM   #28
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadhead View Post
Hello again Galu. I measured resistance on the motor wires. I got 309 ohms black to brown, 175 ohms black to gray. I don't get a measurement from brown to gray?

Thank you,
Jim
How can you not get a measurement?
Old 25th April 2019, 10:17 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

How or why I don't get a measurement I can not say....but I don't. Since my last post I wired the motor up as per the schematic I drew and posted earlier. The motor seems to run just fine. I just interpreted the three terminals on the bad can capacitor as connection points. I left the can cap out and wired as such. Again, motor is running now and seems fine.

Thank you,
Jim
Old 25th April 2019, 11:17 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Well, after running for about 1/2 hour it seems that the motor is running very hot. Any ideas as to why? The capacitor that had been piggy-backed on measures approx. 8uF instead of the original 3.7uF. Could this be the problem?

Thank you!

Need Help With CEC FR-808 Turntable WiringHide this!Advertise here!