Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Using Burson V6's in a MC Phono Amp
Using Burson V6's in a MC Phono Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2019, 06:20 AM   #1
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

Default Using Burson V6's in a MC Phono Amp

Impressions of the Burson V6 mono op-amp upgrade units in two different MC Phono Amps .

Charles at Burson's was kind enough to offer me the chance to try out their fairly new release of the V6 op amp upgrade replacement units.

I am an avid MC vinyl man myself & happen to own several different phono amps, two of them happen to use the very high end op-amp AD797. (about 20 times the cost of the 5532). So the V6 would have to be very good to better what is just about the top op-amp available for the current application. The system I used for listening was a upgrade Lenco75, a Temaad 12 Titanium arm on a seperate Arm Pod, with a Dyanvector XX1.

The 1st phono amps are the AD797 Phono amp as developed by Hypertoad on the A/K site, but it also can be found here. I actually have two of these, one I build (my electronic DIY skills are not very good) The other I bought from a very experienced DIYer from Germany & you can see the skill difference if you compare the two boards.

The 2nd phono amp is what I think is the very unrated MC unit by Graham Slee, the Fanfare, this unit does not come with a AD797 fitted but in discussion with Graham was advised it could be used.

Well the difference when the AD797 is fitted to the Fanfair is nearly night & day. However I do not know what op-amps had originally been fitted as the markings where scrubbed out.

So when I received the V6 package I pooped them into the Fnafare as I was using it at the time. I had been advised by Graham that the V6's can take up to 60 hours to break in so I new they would not sound at their best. So I just left them in playing background music for quite a long period.

After amaybe 20 hours of use I decided to have a more serious listen, well in the Fanfare playing classic music (80% of my listening is classic music). The unit sounded bright & breezy, is the best way to describe the presentation but not much bottom end. I also thought the vol was a little down & as I use the DCB1 as my Pre, I was having to dial the vol all the way up to get to my normal listening level. The I put on a new pop pressing of 180 gram vinyl Duran Duran LP that I got for Christmas. And I sounded it was like listening to a high end transistor radio, something was obviously wrong.

Drastic action was called for so I switched over phono amps to my German built AD797, replacing the AD797 op-amps gave an even larger reduction in vol, in fact it was no louder than low background music, Something was definitely not right, So emailed Hypotoad & Charles about the problem & also did some more reading.

After a couple of days found the answer, (actually two answers)

1- my power supply, for some reason (still not worked out why) the low noise unit I was using had dropped from +/- 9 VDC to +/- 4, these op-amps will not operate properly at that low a voltage.

2- with the AD797 Phono amp, it is recommended to use these V6 op-amps replacements in position 2 of the unit. The AD797 is a 2 mono op-amp unit, with the AD-797 in the 1st gain position the a different op-amp in the 2nd position, mine was a LME49710NA, but others can & are used.

Luckily I had an 18 VDC Nicad battery I pressed into service, but although the AD797 slightly increased in Vol it was still nowhere up to the level I had been getting. So I quickly swapped the V6's into 2nd op-amp position returning the AD797 into the 1st position. Whalla, there you have it, great music & full vol.

So now we have figured out how to use these little beauties & with them now fully broken in how do they sound. Well I can confirm that they will not be coming out of my AD797 phono amp.

To my ears used in position two they add better level of soundstaging, with more detail being heard, yes I was actually hearing some detail I had not heard before, however it was not over the top, the unit still sounded very sweet indeed. The bass has also improved especially in base slam which is more impactful. So success with the AD797 Phono amp & I can say I would knowing what I know now, (or should I say what I hear now) I would be very happy with my purchase if I had bought them.

OK back to the Fanfare with the 18 VDC nicad power pack, sorry It still sounds like a transistor radio. Then I got to thinking the Fanfare is recommended to run off of a 24 VDC supply & I was only using 18 volts, well I need to buy a new P/S to why not buy a 24 V unit, the AD797 can certainly handle it.

So back to E/Bay & I ordered a fully build up 24V version of the highly rated Studer unit. That arrived a few of days ago & I pressed it into service straight away & I can confirm it is very, very quiet indeed.

The AD797 sounded just as gorgeous as it did with the 18V P/S, so did the Fanfare fare (no pun intended) any better, sadly no. There is lot's of detail but no substance & especially no bass to speck of. But that is the beauty of the Bursons deal, if it does not suit your system, (as the V6's plainy do not suit the Fanfare) then just return them for a refund.

(I have since been advised by Charles at Bursons that the V6,s may not have worked successfully in the Fanfare because they require more current than the V5's to work properly. He has kindly offered to sent me a couple of V5's to trial next month. So it will be interesting if this is the case, will advise more when received)

Cheers & happy listening
Old 14th April 2019, 12:39 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Pictures Added

Hi Guy's, Just added a couple of pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190414_094821.jpg (818.0 KB, 341 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190414_094834.jpg (647.5 KB, 344 views)
Old 16th April 2019, 03:34 AM   #3
SSaudio is offline SSaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Every month Burson Audio is looking for good projects!. If you have one please PM me and I will send you free samples (V5i or V6 Classic / Vivid):

Supreme Sound Opamp V5i – Burson Audio
Supreme Sound Opamp V6 – Burson Audio

You can also upgrade your old opamps.

Best regards,
Old 19th April 2019, 12:32 AM   #4
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

I had a look at the Burson discrete opamps and can't seem to find a datasheet for the V6. The V5 datasheet has offset currents larger than input bias currents, which must be a miss-print?
Where are the input voltage and current noise specifications?
Old 22nd April 2019, 04:30 AM   #5
SSaudio is offline SSaudio  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your comments. I sent you a PM.
Best regards,
Old 22nd April 2019, 04:58 AM   #6
sachu888 is offline sachu888  India
diyAudio Member

Hi gigigirl
The AD797 is really a great phonostage. I have sold so many here but sadly no thread or reviews.Everyone vouch about it though, but very few people here know how good does this sound.
Charles is very kind. I am the beneficiary of few samples from Burson audio. they just sound superb.

Regards
Sachin
Old 28th April 2019, 08:21 PM   #7
Mark Tillotson is offline Mark Tillotson
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSaudio View Post
Hi Mark,
Thank you for your comments. I sent you a PM.
Best regards,

Haven't seen any PM...
about this:

[ I had a look at the Burson discrete opamps and can't seem to find a datasheet for the V6. The V5 datasheet has offset currents larger than input bias currents, which must be a miss-print?
Where are the input voltage and current noise specifications? ]
Old 28th April 2019, 08:33 PM   #8
Stanney2017 is offline Stanney2017  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Burson are giving out free samples?
Old 28th April 2019, 10:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes, Contact Charles with a PM. tell him what equip you have & what you want to fit the Burson Op-Amp to & they may consider to offer free sample for you to check them out. Your commitment is to write a honest review of any differences (hopefully improvement) it makes.

Cheers
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:30 PM   #10
Stanney2017 is offline Stanney2017  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thank you. Useful to know.

Using Burson V6's in a MC Phono AmpHide this!Advertise here!