How I made Lenco L75 spindle extension.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Had my Lenco for ages and ran it with the Decca Internation for the longest time until it simply fell to bits. Was going to build a DIY arm out of computer bharings and the salvaged bits of the Decca, but came across a nice Goldring GR1 (rebadged Rega RB250). Fitted this and built a new matt to get the VTA in the right ball park with glued together cork tiles. Worked OK with the original matt on the top. However I came across the classic limit to this - the spindle no longer stuck out through the matts.

I thought about buying a replacement spindle - but the cost and hassle of fitting it on top of the wait to get one put me off. So I decided to make my own spindle extension. How to get a shaft of just the right size for the hole ? Well it turns out that a 9/32 inch drill bit is just about spot on. So I got a nice clean drill bit and angle ground off about an inch of shank. I then mounted the shank into my drill and set it to spinning and applied the angle grinder to the rotating stub until level. I did the same to the spindle end on the rotating Lenco. I offered the two up and made a few fine adjustments until the shaft sat perfectly vertical on the rotating spindle. At this point I used Red locknut compound to glue the two ends together - tested for vertical again and walked away for a few hours. Perfect job and copes with tight fitting records. If it pulls off at some point I will up the glue to plastic metal.

Cheap and simple solution to the short spindle problem.

Shoog

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.