Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Titanium Tonearm
Titanium Tonearm
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2019, 12:11 AM   #11
tribute is offline tribute  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Prefer tapered tube

Hi again gentlemen, well thanks for the link for the titanium tube, unfortunately they do not do tapered tube, which I would prefer.

However I was thinking if I could get the correct O/D's I could do a 3 section reducing dia tube. pressed or glued together. It may increase the effective mass a bit. But as I plan to use a Denon 103 with it, I can afford to have it a bit heavier.

Cheers
Old 17th March 2019, 12:53 AM   #12
AVWERK is online now AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

If you come across a tapered Ti or magnesium tube then let us know.
In your case, a cheap Rega or an SME would be the way to go. Its highly unlikely you would improve on those

You set a severe limitation on yourself with any Denon 103 series as they have a weak magnetic field stucture and tracking issues leading the cheap MC crowd to Talk about endless accolades on how it sounds when severe resonances abound in this ancient MC design.

Mass is what the 103 needs since its very low compliance and a terrible tracker to boot and in that case it sounds like you might have some fun trying to squeeze every last bit out of this old design

Regards
David
Old 18th March 2019, 12:36 AM   #13
tribute is offline tribute  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Not so hard to improve on a SME or Rega

Hi David, yes I will certainly let the forum know if I come across any tapered tube.
Thanks for you suggestions, but it is not so hard to improve on a SME or Rega. Before I got my previous upgraded Rega I have a 3009 & the Rega was clearly better. Then I build my 1st Temaad arm & that blew away the Rega, no contest.
Also the tracking of my Denon 103 certainly improved when fitted to the Temaad, yes in the Rega I had several LP where it would mis-track, but with the Temaad so far I have only found 1 that is Mahler 10.

Cheers

Titanium TonearmHide this!Advertise here!