What to use to clean record & stylus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have finally got my turntable running and am about to start listening to records. I remember that there used to be a cleaning instrument and solution for cleaning the records. I also need something to clean the stylus as it accumulates a lot of lint or dust.

So any recommendations ?

Thanks

Try getting a Disc doctor kit, it comes with cleaning solution, a carbon fiber cleaning pad for the record surface, and I could be wrong on this point, a brush for stylus cleaning. I've used one for decades. You can find then on the web, just do a search. Once you run out of cleaning solution you can make your own. There are a lot of recipes out there

Are you referring to cleaning old records or to keeping new records in clean condition?

I'm still using my 1970s Watts Manual Parastat to clean my LPs. The combination of finely tipped nylon brush and barely moistened velvet pads deals with both dust and static removal.

These days, folks use carbon fibre record cleaning brushes and carbon fibre stylus cleaning brushes.

WATTS PARASTAT - MK11B - Vinyl Record Cleaner w/Case - NEW! Photo #2054937 - UK Audio Mart

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Here are some suggestions for keeping your stylus clean.

1. Every few sides, brush it with a carbon stylus brush. Use the same motion as the vinyl groove. Two or there times. This removes the large debris, and allows the diamond to ride in the bottom of the grooves.

2. Every few weeks drop the stylus in a "magic eraser" cube, four or five times. This takes care of small debris. The difference has to been seen under a microscope to be believed. Vertical motion only: drop needle, raise needle, repeat.

3. Every 100 hours or so, paint the stylus with a liquid cleaner. Careful what you use here because some chemicals can weaken the glue that holds the diamond in place. Buy a reputable brand of stylus cleaning liquid. A tiny bottle will last a long time (years). Van den hul recommends LAST. It works well and removes the black and hard residue that accumulates over time on the sides of the stylus. Steps 1 and 2 above do not achieve this.

Regards - Pierre

Attachments

• Watts Dust Bug.jpg
    Watts Dust Bug.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 151
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Magic Eraser - AKA a microfiber sponge. Works like a charm. Just put the stylus down into it, the stylus will poke a little hole and the sponge wipes off all the dirt. If the stylus is very dirty, you'll see a little black spot.

Nitty Gritty vacuum machine for records and a small tight knit brush pulled from back to front on the needle.
I shy away from cleaning fluids for the diamond and have looked under a microscope that a brush cleans well enough
I do use Last fluid on the needle (not the cleaner) every side played along with a record dust pickup brush

Regards
David

Hey!
I just started with my collection after 25 years. I feel like I’ve been bitten by the bug all over again. Getting all my gear out and getting ready to build Salas’s folded phono pre, but I digress. What was left of my album collection was unfortunately in more than one flood, most of the covers ruined and a lot of mold and mildew etc.. I started looking at cleaning solutions (not liquids) and found a lot of nice things I could not afford, I kept looking and found this widget https://www. vinylvac.net/ . It really jived with my diy nature and does a real nice job too. I have been able to save almost all of my records with results from good to excellent.
I then use the discwasher set up and a separate stylus cleaning brush. I have been so happy with how wonderful everything sounds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.