Phono cartridge self resonance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think that, for all the wrong reasons, cartridges with low effective tip mass don't have audioband resonances.

Tip mass was worked backwards from observation of the 'top resonance' assuming a certain vinyl spring constant, which value I've lost and can't find again. Now whether that is right or wrong I suppose is a moot point: what matters is that the resonance is clear of the audioband. Tip mass is a restatement of that.

LD

Kerstens covered this topic (or at least some of it) in his article from 1956/57:

Kerstens, J. B. S. M. MECHANICAL PHENOMENA IN GRAMOPHONE PICK-UPS AT HIGH AUDIO FREQUENCIES, Philips Technical Review, Vol.18, 1956/57, No.3

Afair Anderson (from Shure) did a more analytically based calculation of the tip mass (or more precisely the equivalent tip mass) in an Audio mag article, but i´ve to look for it.

Bastiaans also published a very informative/thorough article about it:

Bastiaans,C.R. Factors Affecting the Stylus/Groove Relationship in Phonograph Playback Systems, JAES, October 1967,Volume 15, Number 4, 389

The before mentioned article from Anderson about the equivalent tip mass:

Anderson, Roger. Equivalent Mass - Fact or Fiction?, Audio, March 1973, Vol. 62, No.3 , 60

If someone needs help to get a copy, drop me a note.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.