Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Phono cartridge self resonance
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2019, 07:49 AM   #31
luckythedog is offline luckythedog  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
The cartridge winding C is in there too, but I suspect it is not-large compared to cable and tube C.
Yes, I accept that empirically too. The reason for interest is because, in alternate topology preamps with ultra-low input Z, cable and input stage C effects are avoided. One is just left with, and relies on, coil impedance.

LD
Old 29th January 2019, 02:42 AM   #32
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Low-Z inputs short-out capacitive effects.

Coil capacitance is a lot about its Surface Area. Bigger coils, more C. This needs clarification: there is a C to "free space", nothing near the coil. In many practical cases there is C to a core or shield and this will be larger than the free-space C.

More reading: Transformers For Electronic Circuits, Grossner, "The wideband transformer Synthesis".

The C of guitar pickups is moderately well known. 123pFd may be a typical value. The phono pickup coil is much smaller than a guitar pickup coil, so the C would be much-much less. I'm thinking under 25pFd. Which is clearly the smallest C in a typical phono system.
Old 29th January 2019, 04:49 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Thanks that's more than interesting. So self-C is pretty much for the coil as a lumped body to the universe as a whole or the ground of the circuit involved whichever is nearer

All I can think is that as a lumped body the inductor behaves as a single turn. I can sort of get that since the mutual inductance of all turns sums. It has to be something like that.

LD
Old 29th January 2019, 05:50 PM   #34
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

I think Pyramid has a good suggestion - get it on a VNA. Also look at the screen and audio lines wrt ground.

I've been fiddling with some crude models on LTspice and its very easy to get a peak between 10k and 20k Hz of 6-8 dB with a 47k load. If you set the load at 100k or 200k, the resonant peak is 15dB (all figures ref 1 kHz). Quite how some carts are showing peaks of 20dB with a 47k load beats me though.
Old 29th January 2019, 07:20 PM   #35
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The peak is indeed easy. It's the trough that's an issue.

Bump in the input C to 400pF and you'll see that peak grows.
Old 29th January 2019, 09:35 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
I think Pyramid has a good suggestion - get it on a VNA. Also look at the screen and audio lines wrt ground.
Yes, that'll be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
I've been fiddling with some crude models on LTspice and its very easy to get a peak between 10k and 20k Hz of 6-8 dB with a 47k load. If you set the load at 100k or 200k, the resonant peak is 15dB (all figures ref 1 kHz). Quite how some carts are showing peaks of 20dB with a 47k load beats me though.
Well, after years of figuring out how best to avoid the LCR resonance was born the ultra low Z preamp. And I sort of forgot all about the LCR hump. If the wind is blowing the right way, and with the right cart choices there need not be a lump, dip, bump in the audioband.

A few things are falling right for low Z preamps lately.....

LD
Old 31st January 2019, 06:44 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Was the mid-range dip single channel with needle up or down?

If it’s there in normal use, I’m wondering if there’s some coupling (mechanical or inductive) causing cancellation and then further up the in the top octave, the resonance peak.

I’ll have a play a bit later. Interesting problem.
Old 31st January 2019, 07:49 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Putting the AT oddity to one side for a moment and looking at the dip in general. If Ortofon is right and the dip is eddy currents can anything be done to prevent them bar having a laminated core? Given LD does not seem them in his OM measurements (not sure if he has tested his S120 as well) does a low-Z load on the cartridge reduce the eddy current effects?

I've forgotten all I knew about this area of EM but if there is a plausible mechanism them that is one loose end, if not tied and least tagged for dealing with
Old 31st January 2019, 09:07 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

We need JN here on this one.
Old 31st January 2019, 09:36 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

well LD has a FizzX background.

Phono cartridge self resonanceHide this!Advertise here!