repairing broken cantilever -benz micro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i hate those dilemmas , especially when i can't test them all.
doe's someone have any Insights about those who mentioned here:
Benz Micro MC Gold, LP Gear Bin 215, LP Gear Bin 323, Hana EH, Audio technica AT-OC9,
or another in that price range.
maybe it's matter , i'm using well tempered turntable and arm, which is kind of a light arm.
i have time to decide since i have 2 spare MM cartridges that i can use in meanwhile, basic Audio-Technica, and ortofhon , but naturally they sounds less better then the benz.

Last edited:
the 2 mm i have, sounds less better than my benz.
i'm not sure that the benz gold with 0.4 mv output will work well with my build in phono stage.
right now i'm not working with separate preamp, but an integrated.
i leave the discount and prefer the best quality for that price range.
do you think that the Hana EH is better than the others mentioned here?
the most thing i hate is coloration in sound

Last edited:
i'm working now temporary with an ORTOFON OMB10 cartridge.
it's very clean etc. but must say i can't live with it, compare to the benz i had

You can easily upgrade your Ortofon by buying a Needle 20 (elliptical, nude diamond), Needle 30 (Fine Line) or even Needle 40 (Fritz Gyger 70 cut). Mechanically they're all compatible and will fit well to your generator. Of course, the 30 and 40 styli are quite expensive at 200 to 250 bucks, but they're worth their money, I'd say. I own the whole line of 5, 10, 20, 30, and 40 needles, with two OM and one SuperOM bodies, so I can swap by demand and have quite some experience with that Ortofon line of carts.
Best regards!

i'm not sure that changing needle will change a lot the sound nature, which is right now to colorized to my taste.
i am trying now another cartridge i have from the late 80's, Monster Cable Alpha 2 .
Monster Cable Monste Cabler Alpha 2 Cartridge (Apr. 1987)
it's less colorized and very detailed but a bit thin and bodiless , i believe it because the low output 0.30 mv.

Last edited:
Benz Micro MC Gold, LP Gear Bin 215, LP Gear Bin 323, Hana EH, Audio technica AT-OC9,

Asking other people what they like...is there any point really? I would take a DL103 before any of the carts listed above.

Once i've owned an MC20E and it is by far the worst cart i've ever come across. The AT-OC9 is in a different league. Of course YMMV.

Last edited:
Asking other people what they like...is there any point really? I would take a DL103 before any of the carts listed above.

Once i've owned an MC20E and it is by far the worst cart i've ever come across. The AT-OC9 is in a different league. Of course YMMV.
i agree with you but do you have other idiea for decide when i can't test each of those?

i also agree that the MC20E is not perfect , but it has very true nature non colorized sound. but i think i decided to move from this one.
the DL103 have good price.
what do you think compare toThe AT-OC9?

Never owned the alpha series but have the later Genesis 1000 and 2000 cartridges that have a certain purity that will run rings around any denon. ( have owned the 103 c,d,s models)
I would run the cartridge for at least 10 hours due to age and make sure vta and alignment is adjusted correctly before signing off on this model.

The Audio review was incredibly thorough on details rarely seen today.

Regards
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.