Attempting to put a new RCA cable on a Rega RP1.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, so, my Rega RP1 had a short, leaving me with no sound from the left output, so my hope is that this can be rectified with by replacing the RCA cable.

Now... I've already done the hard part, I managed to desolder the tonearm wires from that plug-thingy, and kept them mostly intact (lost a bit of the white wire, but the continuity tester still shows a connection to the cartridge clip and there's just enough left to work with).

My question is....now what? It doesn't look there's any way I'm going to manage to thread a new cable through the plug-thingy. I figure I can just drill a hole through it and run the new cable in through there and attach it directly to the tonearm wires, but that leaves me with another question: what do I do with the black wire? Previously it was attached to both the blue wire and a tiny metal clip that has since been lost.

If I'm connecting the new cable directly to the tonearm wires, I don't see any way I can attach the black wire to both the blue wire and a random piece of metal to act as a ground. Should one take priority over the other?

Could I leave it attached to the blue wire and hope that's sufficient for grounding it?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.