DIY Phono Stage Recommendation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Does anyone have recommendations for a diy phono stage kit? I think I want to prioritize a really low noise floor. Other attributes are important, but after experiencing a Klyne phono stage and it's noise floor (or lack thereof) I think that falls in line first.

I've checked out the glassware kits, but I don't know the differences and advantages of the tetra vs. the aikido?

As well, the Pass Pearl 2 DIY looks really interesting but I just discovered that it can be used as an MC stage by adjusting the gain. In that you can use it for moving coils, I'm wondering if the noise floor is affected by increasing the gain?

Thanks for any future suggestions.

I have built RJM's PhonoClone 3, his VSPS and the Hypnotoad AD797 phono stage which I built as a true dual mono phono stage.
The AD797 uses a chip (not the 797) that I believe is hard to source at the moment. I think you'd be happy with RJM's stuff and there is awesome support here on DIY Audio!

The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

RJM offers a kit and delivery is fast from Japan. You'll have to construct a power supply which is easy and directions are on his website. RJM Audio

AD797 Phono Stage Build and Help Desk Thread | Page 72 | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Sachu88 often has boards for this and a power supply at good prices and surprisingly fast delivery from India.

I'd probably use the RJM stuff as is is more fully supported by Richard and he has new stuff such as the Emerald coming out all the time.

These are all great!! Wow. I think I will try the RJM and see what it does. I like that there are boards for it and the help if I need any. This is based on the 47 Labs design? This seems to have low noise in mind. Could this be run off batteries?

The Pearl looks interesting. I'll have to spec how much it will be to make, since the boards alone are $200. Why don't they offer this through the DiyAudio store?

I could also if time and money allows try the tube MM stage mentioned because I do have an MM cartridge. Although, tubes might take a little more patience and concentration :eek:

I really want to start making things. I'm going to try the Whammy also, and may start that first for the learning curve.

Thanks for all this info and if there is any more info and suggestions I am all ears/eyes!

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have the Pearl II and it beat out a top-of-the-line Audio Research by a mile. Low, very low, noise floor, wide bandwidth, and superb in every other aspect. A true high end design and execution, IMO. I have the Bottlehead Seduction and my own versions of opamp-based flat gain preamps, but they are yet to come close to the Pearl II. Will not disappoint.

I have the Pearl II and it beat out a top-of-the-line Audio Research by a mile. Low, very low, noise floor, wide bandwidth, and superb in every other aspect. A true high end design and execution, IMO. I have the Bottlehead Seduction and my own versions of opamp-based flat gain preamps, but they are yet to come close to the Pearl II. Will not disappoint.

Agreed. For MC Phono stage, I have built RJM's phono, AD797, and Pearl 2 and a few other kits Boozhound lab, etc. To my ears, Pearl 2 is the best in term of sonic quality! I heard Salas Folded Cascode phono stage is comparable to Pearl 2 but I have not built it myself. I got the board and parts for Salas Phono but did not have the time to build it yet. It's one of my future pending DIY project.

Cheers,
Tom

The Pearl 2 is incredible sounding and it’s creepy quiet if you build it right.

It’s not in the store because the last time I talked to Wayne there are only like 10-15 boards sets remaining.

Out of curiosity, what cartridges do you have?

Here’s my build - Building a Pearl 2

That makes sense. I will be using an Audio Technica at-33ptg and, possibly, an Art9, which are around .4mv @ 10ohms and .5mv @ 12ohms, so both similar to each other.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.