Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

2N3823 as a Source Follower for Buffer?
2N3823 as a Source Follower for Buffer?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2019, 07:31 PM   #1
volleynbike is offline volleynbike  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 2N3823 as a Source Follower for Buffer?

I'm hoping someone out there who's has a lot more experience than i (hardly any) with JFETs could answer what i hope is a simple question.

Years ago i built a Boozhound JFET Phono Preamp that is working well:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...Preamp.pdf?108
This one has no buffer on its output, but i run some long cables to my amp with it anyway, and it does fine. Also, where i used to run it from batteries, recently i put in a Lamda PS that i had in the bottom of my parts stash. In many ways the Lamda sounds better than the batteries, except for noise.

So i had the idea of adding a JFET buffer to the output of the Boozhound. Boozhound uses a simple JFET source follower with a CCS on their latest Phono Preamp: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...58660262325290
but i thought of using John Broskie's Aikido-esk JFET Follower as show on the output of this MC preamp because of it's PS noise cancellation circuit:
Click the image to open in full size.

Like Boozhound, Broskie uses 2SK170's, long considered excellent in phono preamps. But alas, now unobtainium. As i rummaged through my parts bin, i found a stash of 2N3823's left over from the 1980's. I know they're not the same class -- the 2N3823 have about 3-4x the noise and, if i understand the data sheets correctly, a bit higher admittance. But i have so many of them.

My question is: In this usage, as a unity gain buffer, would it work Ok? Are there any gotchas? Would i notice much difference compared to the 2SK170? I'm also assuming that in this circuit i could pretty much just drop it in with the same surrounding resistor values (100 ohms all around)? Any comments? Thanks =]

Last edited by volleynbike; 6th January 2019 at 09:10 PM.
Old 15th January 2019, 02:02 PM   #2
gvidmar is offline gvidmar
diyAudio Member

>>>> In this usage, as a unity gain buffer, would it work Ok?
Electrically - YES. Sonically no, they could sound better, they could sound worse. You have to try and listen.
>>>> Are there any gotchas
They always are, but in my opinion you have pretty good chances to do it well.
>>>> Would i notice much difference compared to the 2SK170?
It depends on the rest of your set-up. If your audio components, I mean amplifier, loudspeakers,
headphones, ... are sensitive enough, you always notice the differences after
small changes or modifications.
>>>> surrounding resistor values (100 ohms all around)
100 ohm is a good starting point. Try to adjust the resistance for Id of 5-8mA .
>>>> 2SK170's ... now unobtainium
They are obtainable here:
Toshiba 2SK170 LAB MATCHED OCTET to 0.03mA / 4mV (8 matched FETs -- 7mA range) | eBay

There are also substitutes benig produced by Linear Systems
DMOS Switches, JFET Amplifiers, BIFET Amplifiers, MOSFETS

LSK170 used to be sold by DIY Audio Store here:
Linear Systems LSK170 Ultra Low Noise Single N-Channel JFET (8 Pieces) – diyAudio Store
but unfortunatelly they are currently sold out.
Old 24th January 2019, 06:19 AM   #3
volleynbike is offline volleynbike  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you gvidmar. I'll breadboard it and see what happens...
Old 24th January 2019, 10:43 PM   #4
gvidmar is offline gvidmar
diyAudio Member

Please let us know about your findings.

2N3823 as a Source Follower for Buffer?Hide this!Advertise here!