Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Chipomatic balanced input RIAA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2018, 03:33 AM   #11
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
My goodness Salas does 8-legs, if you want to try a couple of gold plated DIP's just ask.
Thanks a lot Scott, but not to deprive your collection from rare packages. The SMT one works the same for home temperatures on the little adapter I think. Nice current feedback low noise instrumentation chip from Analog Devices BTW. Did you lend any ideas in its design?

I have made the Itch with valves, the FSP with JFETs, so a chips one was missing I guess
Old 11th December 2018, 03:42 AM   #12
scott wurcer is offline scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Thanks a lot Scott, but not to deprive your collection from rare packages. The SMT one works the same for home temperatures on the little adapter I think. Nice current feedback low noise instrumentation chip from Analog Devices BTW. Did you lend any ideas in its design?
No, just years of accumulated knowledge we all share.
Old 11th December 2018, 04:47 PM   #13
deonaudio is offline deonaudio  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

I would be tempted to try something similar, with INA103, also 1nV/√Hz noise device, have a dozen lying around.
But, as stated, INA103 does not have the best noise performance with source impedances greater than 10K. On the other hand, should deliver “near theoretical noise performance” with source impendence around 200 Ohms. Sounds just right for MC input.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/ina103.pdf
Old 11th December 2018, 06:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Or a THAT1512. MC carts are 40 Ohm or far below though and 1nV/rtHz can be acceptable to some but not SOTA as building a discrete headamp with Zetex minimal Rbb' transistors.

Depends on what is the interface. The AD8429 will be at its best with HMC or SUT or differential pre-pre with 100uF coupling caps.
Old 11th December 2018, 06:17 PM   #15
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Don't forget that MM cartridges have one pin connected to the case of the cartridge. To run balanced you need to ideally disconnect that and run a 5th wire, which puts a lot of people off balanced MM phono. I can live with that, but have transcended voltage amplifiers for my MM needs
Alright, alright, I will add a BAL/SE input switch to a board layout so to can reconfigure the input side grounding at will. I tested it on the matrix example by moving the GND wire from between the RLs to -In and it works. The signal ground must no longer connect to the shielding paper for best hum result though. Only the mains earth from the lab PSU.
Old 11th December 2018, 06:21 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Or a THAT1512. MC carts are 40 Ohm or far below though and 1nV/rtHz can be acceptable to some but not SOTA as building a discrete headamp with Zetex minimal Rbb' transistors.
THAT has an in-amp building block that brings out enough pins to replace the input devices (actually use them as a cascode) with the Zetex devices or FET's for that matter. Unfortunately it only comes as a bumped die package.

Walt Jung and I published an AD624 based MM phono many years ago (I used it for years).
Old 11th December 2018, 06:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Unfortunately I don't follow USA publications unless mentioned here. Will look for it. Only INA guy I know is Matt Duff of Analog Devices because I have seen him on YouTube talking instrumentation amps
Old 11th December 2018, 06:29 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The part is the THAT 1583, I did a similar application with FET's for the Naval Research Labs using the AD625 (in-amp breakout) designed for PGA's. The navy was building a forest of sub sniffing sonar arrays.
Old 11th December 2018, 06:45 PM   #19
The Space Egg Corp is offline The Space Egg Corp  England
diyAudio Member

Question . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Is it OK to solder the input leg of the SMD directly to the XLR socket ?

Si.

t.S.E.c

Can I detect Soviet submarines with it, if I tune the interconnects right ?

Old 11th December 2018, 06:54 PM   #20
diyAudio Chief Moderator

The heating power applied for the XLR will melt the surface mount chip, but no worries because you can't detect Soviet submarines since 1991 anyway

Chipomatic balanced input RIAAHide this!Advertise here!