Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Chipomatic balanced input RIAA
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th February 2019, 09:36 AM   #161
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
Many thanks Salas

The last remaining bit seems to be indeed the PS options... indeed sensitive as that could be potentialy putting off some DIYer... The heck, why not comparing with these regs, with 1 UBIB, with 2 UBIB (after all...) and why not even UBIB AND SMD REGS :-)

Who knows what the best option is or if really relevant

VERY interesting, definitely up for board(s), be it Chipo or chipo + UBIB(s), great project

Claude
Do you want me to send you a V1_brd to try your hand on SMD meanwhile? I got a spare.
Old 26th February 2019, 10:47 AM   #162
ClaudeG is offline ClaudeG
diyAudio Member

Of course!

I would welcome with pleasure a board and your BOM (to follow exactly your parts recommendations)

I would though also buy some SMD training kits on ebay: would be a real pity to waste my endless clumsiness on your nice boards!

Thanks a lot Salas!

Claude (more pm)
Old 26th February 2019, 11:14 AM   #163
Dimdim is offline Dimdim  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Dimdim, why CB3 CB4 10n instead of 100n? Typo, or you actually put only 10n IC2 rail decouplers in your SMD build?
10n was suggested by the OPA2134's datasheet, so I went with those on the BoM and actual build.

100n might indeed be more fitting to this build - in fact that is what the AD823's datasheet suggests.
Old 4th March 2019, 08:11 AM   #164
salavat is offline salavat  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

I am looking forward to get final PCBs when it is finalised, because of its size it would be perfect add-on to my Buffalo DAC (basically phono stage is a passive component in a sense, there is nothing to regulate, plus current consumption is tiny) and phono stage does not deserve a separate case and place on the shelve).

As 'earing' is concerned, I would recommend listening in headphones (decent ones with decent amp), since they easily show any improvements, imperfections etc, particularly those with notorious reputation for details (such as Sennheiser HD800, some AKGs).
Old 7th March 2019, 06:29 PM   #165
diyAudio Chief Moderator

They arrived earlier. When to balance it, balance it well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190307_212114.jpg (520.6 KB, 172 views)
Old 7th March 2019, 10:33 PM   #166
salavat is offline salavat  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
They arrived earlier. When to balance it, balance it well.
Nice! Of those currently produced these are the best ones probably.

I have this step up (bought it by chance):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2R3kAC0__89420.1545078869.jpg (132.6 KB, 166 views)
Old 13th March 2019, 11:22 PM   #167
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salavat View Post
Nice! Of those currently produced these are the best ones probably.
From what I saw on the bench their relatively low output impedance also permits loading around the 20kΩ mark (RL1+RL2) without significant loss of their nominal gain, showing good flatness in combination with the RIAA curve. I did not try any lower loading as for now. That ability can be used to reflect lower loading impedance for the MC cart connected on the primary side. My 10Ω (output Z) cart seems to prefer that range for instance (in subjective terms at least).

At 47k typical secondary load I did not hear any catchy difference to the Jensen (properly terminated with its datasheet Zobel). Actually the Jensen had an overall flatter response (+RIAA) with less loss under 50Hz. While the Sowter tends to a slight rise towards HF at 47k (not readily audible) which nonetheless visually improves to insignificant at circa 20k load.

The instrumentation amplifier's input bias currents now can find a lower impedance path through the Sowter's middle tap to ground, so I disconnected the ground point from the middle of RL1 RL2, and as expected there comes a mild improvement in LF noise too. Again nothing readily audible since its very low with the two wire output Jensen too.

Not needing a Zobel as termination on the Sowter's secondary side (Cz Rz reserved pads on the Chipo) is another thing that makes matters simple for trying different secondary loading. I verified there are no peaks on square-wave corners without an RC for the 1480 type indeed.

The particular samples seem to also have a slight difference in gain ratio but nothing crucial.

Overall this Sowter model although bulky and somewhat expensive is technically flexible and in good cooperation with the Chipo. Recommended.

Chipomatic balanced input RIAAHide this!Advertise here!