Chipomatic balanced input RIAA

The housing will be the BZ2207... to match my line preamp & switchbox. Bigger than needed, but nicely build and the Chipo deserves it...

One question though, for the experienced ones re riaa amps...

The Chipo isn’t noisy, in fact no more than the quite RIAA preamps I used to listen to. Turning the volume pot high up to what I would consider my upper loud critical listening level session, putting my ear on the speakers I can hear a very slight hiss, sounds like white noise to me, across all frequencies / all 4 drivers. It isn’t fa single frequency such as hum or PS noise. Very slight noise, as I can only hear it with volume cranked up and it is absolutely inaudible from 50cm on, and I tried hard. I absolutely can’t hear it from my listening position nor when playing music of course.

I guess it is normal (and perfectly acceptable to me) especially as I cranked up the Chipo’s gain. On the other hand, eagle eyed experts will have spotted I didn’t use any coax cable from the RCA entry plugs (of course these are only for experiments, proper RCAs are here with me, with proper casing!) to the Chipo. Could that be a problem?

I have to say tiny flexible coax are nightmare to deal with and were anyway likely to break during my cookie box experiments, hence my twisted Cat 6 wires. I also like to have 2 conductors, same ones, and not relying on the shield to carry the mass.

What would be my options?

1- Leave things as they are, white noise… so unlikely corelated to cable noise (???)

2- While going for the proper casing, wrapping the existing Cat 6 cables in an aluminium foil, connecting this with mass on the RCA end. Easy to do. But then of course I need also to make sure the said foil is wrapped and insulated, so in case it gets lose it doesn’t damage anything… hassle again

3- Find a large existing coax cable that can be emptied from its core and filling it with my Cat 6. At least safe, but sounds like even more hassle…

4- Use tiny coax cable.. nightmare… I have it here with me, as recommended for Pearl projects, it is 1 (line) conductor and shield is mass… would prefer 2 conductors with shield, but then needs to be flexible, but tiny, but robust… argh! I found one that could match my wish

MOGAMI NEGLEX W2549​

Never used it though, and do I need all that to reduce the white noise. (or pink noise) .. for the sake of it LOL

5- Else???

If on the other hand it wouldn’t make any difference to the wide band noise I hear, glad to leave things as they are!

Many thanks guys for your experienced feedback

Claude

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Usually the tell tale clue for needing coax is when you can hear harmonic noise i.e. hum & buzz, not hiss (de-tuned FM radio like) type of low level white noise. But it may still help reduce general background noise a little bit more.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Use tiny coax cable.. nightmare…
By the way, to tackle small cables easier try a Piergiacomi CSP-30-1 wire stripper tool. Its Italian and you will easily find it stocked in EU vendors.

Attachments

• CSP-30-1.png
    CSP-30-1.png
    58.3 KB · Views: 12