2007 Rega P2 upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Rega P2 that I purchased new in around 2005. I do not want to replace it, but am pondering some upgrades. I have some questions regarding this:

1. What type of cartridge came with it? It is red, very like the Bias.
2. Would it have the 24V quieter motor? It does not have a plugin adapter.

So what upgrades would give me the most “bang for my buck”? Considered options that I can think of are:

A. Upgraded cartridge - Elys?
B. New optiwhite platter? The original is the MDF.
C. Upgraded motor?
D. Rega wool record mat? The original came with a black felt pad, which may actually be the wool one.

The equipment that I use it with is pretty good IMO:

Phono-pre: Hagtech original Cornet (newest iteration Cornet3 - MM Vacuum Tube Phono Preamp)
Amp: TubeLab SimpleSE single-ended; AKSA 55n
Speakers: Pensil 10.2; Vandersteen 2

I’d welcome suggestions, advice, comments.

Thanks,
Charlie

Upgrade to a P3 with Elys cartridge is beyond my means right now.

It seems that my P2 has the Bias cartridge already.

So, if I were to make a cartridge upgrade my thoughts are between:

Rega Elys
Ortofon 2m Blue
Ortofon 2m Bronze

The latter would max my budget.

I have heard that Ortofons are brighter and mor “analytical” than the Regas. However, given my tubed preamp and SE amp, maybe that wouldn’t matter. I’d prefer warmer over analytical. But Ortofon coupled with tubed amplification may be just what I need.

Ideas?

Thanks, seeing as I don’t have the funds right now, I can save the Bronze unless a cheaper option shows up.

With regard to the Denon, my concern is the cartridge output. The Rega Bias puts out over 5mV, but the Denon is around 2mV. I am concerned that the 43dB gain of the preamp with the low wattage of the SE will underpower even my single-drive speakers.

Charlie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.