Linn Forum is permanently closed - who have save all the Threads arround the LP12 ?

Unfortunately this forum was not just closed temporarily - go to
Linn — Forum Announcement
Is the official Linn Forum closed for maintenance?- Vinyl Engine
and
The Linn forum is officially dead -
It is not clear for me, why access to the previous information and threads was denied.

Additional I note, nothing was archived under
Linn Forums
Linn Forums

Maybe there are other internet archives organisations like
https://web.archive.org
or one of the members have save all articles.

Thank you for advices.

Last edited:
Goodbye Linn, and don't let the door hit you on your backside on the way out.

It has been pretty obvious that Linn has only been using the LP12 platform to milk existing customers for more and more cash. No new proper development has been done on the LP12 platform, and I would not be entirely surprised if they terminate that product line in the near future.

As for their digital offerings: it is entirely overpriced. In fact, I doubt Linn will be with us in 10 years time.

As for me, my LP12 will be going on sale soon, to be replaced by a Technics, VPI or other more modern offering.

Some pretty interesting recordings as well - but in the end I think their hubris and arrogance to among other folks the long-standing dealer network without whom Ivor would probably never gotten off the ground will be their undoing.

I drank more than a couple of mugs of that kool-aid, and even had one of those nice club sweaters from the mid 80s or so. Personally I always thought the Basik/Akito/K9 set-up offered much better bang for the buck than the much more expensive and finicky LP12 Ekos / Troika MC cartridge - but that was of course blasphemy. It was certainly easier to set up, and I think edged out the Rega 3/RB300 combo.

Last edited:
At least the Linn was one of the first to actually show a TT can make a serious difference
And you can only beat that drum for so long.
Competitors moved on and produced much better designs overall

What they should do is bring out a new TT design and give a new reason to have a forum to talk about it.

Regards
David

At least the Linn was one of the first to actually show a TT can make a serious difference
And you can only beat that drum for so long.
Competitors moved on and produced much better designs overall

What they should do is bring out a new TT design and give a new reason to have a forum to talk about it.

Regards
David

Actually, I have an Ariston RDII which was the original, Linn just copied it.

And did a poor job of it in the process. They should have used a solid aluminium subframe from the start, but now they want to charge an arm and a leg for it.

A while ago I restored an old circa 1981 LP12. I was totally shocked to see how poorly it was put together on the inside.

Last edited:
Unfortunately this forum was not just closed temporarily - go to
Linn — Forum Announcement
Is the official Linn Forum closed for maintenance?- Vinyl Engine
and
The Linn forum is officially dead -
It is not clear for me, why access to the previous information and threads was denied.

Additional I note, nothing was archived under
Linn Forums
Linn Forums

Maybe there are other internet archives organisations like
https://web.archive.org
or one of the members have save all articles.

Thank you for advices.

any news ?
for some information I discovered this URLs in the meantime:
http://www.hoth.uk/Linn-kit.htm
http://www.nodecorporation.co.uk/sara01.htm

And did a poor job of it in the process. They should have used a solid aluminium subframe from the start, but now they want to charge an arm and a leg for it.

A while ago I restored an old circa 1981 LP12. I was totally shocked to see how poorly it was put together on the inside.

Yes I bought my LP12 / LVV / K9 new in 1983 and build quality was good on the outside. I ended up bracing the plinth and dampening the subchassis. I was working for Marantz Aus at the time and took the LP12 to work to pit it against the TT1000 / SME / V15, there was no clear winner.

Sold it a few years ago with Ittok / Troika, my current SP10 / EPA100 / Stanton 881s out performed the LP12, maybe with all the upgrades the LP12 would have been in the show but at $20KAUD for the upgrades the SP10 was a bargain.

Just found this thread .

In relation to Ariston being the predecessor of Linn as far as I remember their factory was in the south west coast of Scotland not too far from the later Linn factory in southern Glasgow so talk of Ivor copying Ariston might not be too far from the truth.

More than anything else what Ivor brought to the market was modern aggressive marketing methods. There were a few other Ts such as the AR, Era etc which were based on almost identical lines.....and were far cheaper.....but lacked Ivor's marketing expertise.

There were many stores around regarding his love of luxury boats etc. - so it was clearly profitable!

Reactions: 1 user
....And did a poor job of it in the process. They should have used a solid aluminium subframe from the start, but now they want to charge an arm and a leg for it.

This is the main reason, why so many 3rd party modification kits and parts was available - go to the archived overview
"3RD PARTY MODIFICATIONS AND PARTS" from the closed linn forum:
Linn Forums - 3rd Party Modifications and Parts
unfortunately all postings itself are not archived there, because Mr. Ivor Tiefenbrun didn't like it at all and has therefore taken appropriate precautions, which effectively prevented any archiving there.
Maybe one of the members from diyaudio had save this postings or there are other similar web archive portals anywhere (perhaps also in the deep web).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am very saddened that more and more what can be said that is truthful is being repressed , I already knew Mr.Tiefenbrun,s policy which I better not go into detail here .

I hope DIY Audio doesn't go down the road of my previous website and another well known UK consumer help website where if a vendor is not happy with the truth they can get the post removed .

I don't have a problem if its untruthful but it is disingenuous to make a fortune by clever advertising and the help of some "audio friends " who were (are ) in positions of power to influence the general public.

Seems to be something there? https://web.archive.org/web/20180330104433/http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/
1705829941611.png