Onkyo Anti Skate check.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Can someone tell me if this Anti-Skate mechanism (if that's what it is) is set up the right way? The little pin sticking up was previously going under the bar and it didn't look right when compared to some other pictures so I set it up this way?:D

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    833.4 KB · Views: 119
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I've been rebuilding this turntable on and off over the last 8 years but I could never get it working right until yesterday when I replaced the original cartridge that was in it with an AT95E. I just wanted to rule that anti-skate mechanism out to avoid any more disappointments with this TT so thanks for the reassuring info on this fellas, I thought there may be something wrong when I set the tonearm to negative balance? The tonearm would sweep outwards if placed towards the center of the platter, now I realize thats the anti-skate working. I thought I was going to spend another 8 years trying to set the finiky AT95E properly with a stupid protractor. lol, I eventually got it near enough so now everything is working great. Thanks again, fellas!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Did it skate outwards with stylus "in the groove" or in lifted position?

It is kind of difficult to understand what problem the AT95E exactly solved ...

#1 The tonearm swung back in the lifted position whilst negatively balanced, as it should I now realize. #2 The AT95E actually works when the original cartridge didn't for some reason? I tried two new styli in succession thinking they were duds before thinking it may be the cartridge?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I was setting the tracking pressure so I had to negatively balance the tone-arm first. I have no idea what is wrong with the original cartridge? I measured across the top and bottom pins of the cartridge at 760 ohms, the AT95E read 460 ohms across those pins, so the cartridge must've been damaged somehow and acquired a short in it?

When a tonearm is in "negatively balanced" (i.e. "hanging in the air") state then any functional anti skate system will draw/sweep it outwards from "middle of the platter" position - that is the basic job for anti skate.
And you do not "fix" this with change of a cartridge.

And still you do not say what problem did you fix with AT95E - the original cartridge did not play sound, jumped the grooves, the sound was not what you expected, something else?

A tonearm mustn't be »negatively balanced«. To adjust for the cartrigdge's weight, first install it properly, i.e. take care of it's overhang. Then, with your individual tonearm, disable the anti skating device. Then adjust the counterweight in order to get the arm well balanced, i.e. horizontally. Then, while holding the counterweight in it's position, turn the black dial to 0 (zero). Then turn the counterweight to the appropriate tracking force. As the dial turns with the weight in this step, you can read the force at it. Finally activate the AS device again.
I don't know how to adjust the AS force at your arm, though :rolleyes:.
Best regards!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A tonearm mustn't be »negatively balanced«. To adjust for the cartrigdge's weight, first install it properly, i.e. take care of it's overhang. Then, with your individual tonearm, disable the anti skating device. Then adjust the counterweight in order to get the arm well balanced, i.e. horizontally. Then, while holding the counterweight in it's position, turn the black dial to 0 (zero). Then turn the counterweight to the appropriate tracking force. As the dial turns with the weight in this step, you can read the force at it. Finally activate the AS device again.
I don't know how to adjust the AS force at your arm, though :rolleyes:.
Best regards!

This is how I set my cartridge and stylus. My turntable sounds great but thanks for the advice anyway. It all helps! :D YouTube

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.