Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Digital tachometer for my turntable
Digital tachometer for my turntable
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM   #1
JosM is offline JosM  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Digital tachometer for my turntable

Dear friends,

I would like to built a digital tachometer for my turntable. Not with a processor or stuff like that, but with "old fashioned IC's ( TTL or CMOS) and NIXIE tubes. Who Could Help me with a schema or article? Thank you.
Old Yesterday, 04:53 PM   #2
Pyramid is offline Pyramid  United States
diyAudio Member

Difficult to do with any accuracy without using math (uP).

For high frequency signals, a counter is used with a defined gate period. The slower the input frequency, the longer the gate period becomes especially as the accuracy (to the right of the decimal point) increases. To measure a frequency of 60Hz using a 1 second gate to count pulses would produce a result 60, with 1 Hz resolution. To get 0.1Hz resolution would require a gate time of 10 Sec which produces a count of 600 and the decimal is put between the two zeros.

A turntable platter is slow moving; counting single pulses per revolution would have a gate time of 60 Sec for a resolution of 1RPM. If you use a rotary encoder to produce many pulses per rev, you will need one with thousands of pulses per rev, or do some math: An encoder with 6K PPR will give a count of 3333 with a 1 second gate with resolution of 0.01 RPM at 33 RPM and a count of 4500 with a 1 sec gate at 45 RPM:

Count=RPM*PPR*Gate/60 where gate is in seconds.
or
Gate=Count*60/(RPM*PPR)

If you have an encoder with 2560 PPR, your gate time would be 2.34375 Sec for both 33 & 45 RPM and produce counts of 3333 and 4500.

To get resolution 3 places to the right of the decimal would require an encoder with 10's of thousands of PPR or a gate time of 10's of seconds.

You could also preload a counter with 78333 and count down at 25K pulses/sec using 1 revolution as a gate. This will give you accurate results for 45.000 and 33.333, but inaccurate results the farther away you get from either of those 2 numbers. The 74C192 counter IC is a BCD 10 up/down counter with preset inputs and could be used for this application. 7447 BCD to 7 Seg decoders could drive the digits.

Last edited by Pyramid; Yesterday at 05:05 PM.

Digital tachometer for my turntableHide this!Advertise here!