Panasonic SL-800 turntable channel cuts out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I’ve inhereted a very nice turntable from my grandpa that works and sounds great on my system but here recently the left channel started dropping out. When the channel drops out there is a low audible fuzz and faint sound. Sometimes I can play one whole side before it decides to stop working and sometimes it will comeback and work great. I followed a trouble shooting guide online for similar problems and have at least isolated it to this unit and not my receiver or speakers. When I inspected the cartridge wire and gave them a slight tug one wire came completely off and looked green I guess from oxidation, so after that happened I found them all to be weak at the solder joint and decided to run all new wires through the tonearm and into the cabinet. My repair job was very successful but upon playing the unit for about 15 minutes it started cutting out again. As far as repairing anything else on the turntable, I’m afraid I don’t have enough knowledge. I did check the cart resistance with an ohm meter and not sides measured around 930 ohms. Any help would be appreciated.

From the internet I found that the SL-800 has a CD-4 decoder build in.
If it is right , since you had changed the tone arm wires, I suggest your bypass the decoder and connect it directly to the output .
If it is successful than it is the build in decoder that caused the problem.

If you think it's worthwhile to fix the decoder,
look for bad joints, it may caused by weather and some caused by heat ,
check resistors values especially in the power supply for it may change over time,
also it's best to recap.

Hello alexchoi,

Very sorry I never responded back. Truth is I got so frustrated I gave up and put it away till last week. I was also very busy with school and had very little time to mess with the it. I cracked her back open and I think I may have found the problem. If I’m right there seems to be a badly burnt resistor that needs replacing on the cd4 decoder. I took a couple of pictures and will try to add these to this post. Will a bad resistor cause this situation of working at first and then cutting out with distortion? I’m gonna go ahead and replace it, don’t have much to lose anyways. I’m having problems though determining the resistor value. I have a chart but the resistor is so badly burnt I can’t make it out. I looked for a schematic online but no luck yet. I do believe it’s a 4 band though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.