Moving Coil RIAA Preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

AD797 wouldn´t have been my choice throughout the amp.
The gnd routing certainly looks done like ...."well, everything is routed ... now lets´s pour a gnd plane all over the place".
The gnd layout/routing is extremely important for lowlevel signal design.
Only a good layout will allow to press all the juice from the circuit.
A bad layout can ruin the specs, lead to hum and more nasty things.
Not too many coupling caps for my taste though ;-)

jauu
Calvin

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I used the AD797 because I like its sound.
Of course you can use whatever other opamp you like, although I think for position IC5 you will hardly find another so good op-amp.

The layout / routing / ground plane is very carefully designed and not as you described.
I know very well the importance of this for low level signal design.
The preamplifier is completely quiet without any hum or other noises.

For the coupling capacitos, what can I say? This is a very old discussion. We can continue the discussion for days (...or years). Anyway, I used polypropylene capacitors of high quality except for the output capacitor which as I described in the article, I have not use it.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Matti Pussinen who lives in Finland build my MC pre-amplifier and was very pleased to send me the following:

"It is very fast, colourful and powerful, but not painting anything. So I think it is the best one. Much information in different places I heard now.
And on the other hand, I heard which vinyls are not well pressed.."

He also send me some photos of the pre-amplifier.

Attachments

• IMG_5581.jpg
    IMG_5581.jpg
    673.8 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_5582.jpg
    IMG_5582.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_5585.jpg
    IMG_5585.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 320
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.