16/44.1 digital recording (on vinyl): source of ultrasonics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Watch the following YouTube video (it's about spectral analysis of the 1985 digitally-recorded Beach Boys album, which was released on vinyl):

YouTube

The vlogger concluded that post-22khz content is "inaccuracies in vinyl" or "cartridge mis-tracking".
But I'm not sure I buy that. For one, he did not repeat the experiment with another turntable/cart. Or he didn't attempt to re-align the cart. Etc. ,etc.

What could be some reasons for the post-22k ultrasonic content shown in the video?

Post 22KHz COULD be a poor reconstruction filter on the cutting head DAC, some of the early digital stuff was not exactly brilliant in this regard.
However I would tend to be suspecting mechanical issues with the scope trace scratched into a plastic disk first.

Was it just me or was the audio hitting that zoom recorder WAAAY hot?

Regards, Dan.

Post 22KHz COULD be a poor reconstruction filter on the cutting head DAC, some of the early digital stuff was not exactly brilliant in this regard.
I inquired about that on a pro-audio forum. I.e. ,what kind of filter pro DACs (of that vintage) used. No one seems to know. Someone did comment that the cutter was rolled off after 17k (regardless of source) as that prevents it from burning out. Ergo, maybe no reconstr. filter used (???).

However I would tend to be suspecting mechanical issues with the scope trace scratched into a plastic disk first.
In the "mechanical domain", the stylus/cart. could resonate those overtones (harmonics). But what the vlogger shows is a lot of "noise".
Anyway, an easy experiment to confirm that would be to record the CD release of the same album (or any digitally-recorded album of that vintage (e.g. Telarc)) onto a good cassette or open-reel deck. Digitize that at 24/96, and repeat the spectral analysis.

BTW: The software used in the video is Adobe Audition 1.5.

Got to admit that mess looks as much like intermod as anything else?

It would be interesting to have a disk cut with pairs of non harmonically related tones at varying levels, you cannot see intermod on a single tone but it becomes VERY obvious with two non harmonic ones.

If the cutter amp is rolling off at 17k or so then the mess above there can only be cutter mechanical, record and replay chain issues.

Audition would not have been my first choice for this, matlab is much better at this sort of thing.

Intermodulation

Got to admit that mess looks as much like intermod as anything else?

...you cannot see intermod on a single tone but it becomes VERY obvious with two non harmonic ones.
That would appear on the output of a CD player, too. But it doesn't. (????)
Did you/anyone watch the original Lp vs. CD video made in 2012 by another vlogger? The video in my OP was the vlogger's reply to this:

YouTube

Last edited:
Errrrrrrrrrr...........

OK...phono is capable of higher frequencies, but is it flatter response, ...
Many MC carts, phono stages, preamps, and amps can have extended and flat specs. E.g., My Ortofon MC from the early 80s has: 20 Hz to 40 kHz, +4,-1.5 dB.
For phono preamps, check out ChannelD's Seta model specs ( DC to 4,000,000 Hz ):
CHANNEL D - Seta

If one wants to criticize phono, go for something like S/N, dynamic range, etc.

hollowman said:
I inquired about that on a pro-audio forum. I.e. ,what kind of filter pro DACs (of that vintage) used. No one seems to know. Someone did comment that the cutter was rolled off after 17k (regardless of source) as that prevents it from burning out. Ergo, maybe no reconstr. filter used (???).
Much much more likely that a proper reconstruction filter was used in pro gear. A cutter rolloff would be much more gradual and fairly useless as a reconstruction filter. Therefore, most likely that both fillters in use.

In the "mechanical domain", the stylus/cart. could resonate those overtones (harmonics). But what the vlogger shows is a lot of "noise".
Surely noise is what you expect when you drag something against something else? Where do these "overtones" come from?

That would appear on the output of a CD player, too. But it doesn't. (????)
Maybe that is because the CD record-replay system is very linear? Hence it has very low levels of harmonic distortion and very low levels of intermods.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.