Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

SRA, why 92 degrees
SRA, why 92 degrees
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2018, 09:38 PM   #101
merlin el mago is offline merlin el mago
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
IMD=Intermodulation Distortion
LTA= Lateral tracking angle (AKA alignment)
Thank you 😊
Old 5th November 2018, 09:52 PM   #102
ThomasA is offline ThomasA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
That bit I get as it's easy to visualise the arc of the needle rather than a straight up and down motion. It's just the scale of it (and apparant ignorance of it in 21st century vinyl playback) I have not grasped.
As Josh note an arc or a straight line depends on the cutter (Neumann or Ortofon, as do the azimuth vary as well). Which makes me wonder if the Ortofon test record is cut by an Ortofon cutter....
Old 5th November 2018, 10:18 PM   #103
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

SRA, why 92 degrees
More than 2 cutting head manufacturers as well!
Old 8th November 2018, 04:51 AM   #104
gigigirl is offline gigigirl
diyAudio Member

billshurv Have you packed your cartridge, to get correct SRA yet. If so did you hear a difference.?

cheers
Old 9th November 2018, 05:14 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Default useful bit of info

Just picked up this useful bit of info on the adjustment needed to change from a pre 1968 LP (15 deg) to a post (20/22 deg) LP.

"Adjusting the VTA from 22 to 15 degrees would have to lower the arm base 28 mm for a 9 inch arm, (however slightly less for a 12").

Fortunately my Temaad 12" arm has more than that adjustment, But I still think adding a platter topper is an easier way,

Cheers
Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM   #106
snakeoilphile is offline snakeoilphile  Australia
diyAudio Member

I have to agree with ThomasA...having just recently purchased a AT VM750SH stylus and freaking out that this was some bees knees needle and would be a baby that needed treating differently...

i have leveled my tt, used a Koetsu baby spirit to level my headshell while on record, checked along the whole tone arm cart....

Have set the heaviest specified VTF by manufacturer, and my needle drops sound like CDs....i used hifinews test lp...found that the background noise, clicks and pops (after vacuum/wet cleaning) made the record near useless...i did test my arm resonance at least.

the differences between single digit or subdigit VTA degrees sound like diminishing returns imo...
Old Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Default Cannot set SRA correctly

Hi, Sorry you cannot, Cannot set SRA unless you can view your stylus angle on th LP at the correct tracking weight. do that need a USB microscope or very, very good camera & macro lens + plus a lot of highly developed processing skill.

Cheers
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM   #108
luckythedog is offline luckythedog  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeoilphile View Post
the differences between single digit or subdigit VTA degrees sound like diminishing returns imo...
Sometimes yes sometimes no. Generally I agree with Thomas A though.

LD

SRA, why 92 degreesHide this!Advertise here!