Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Cross-talk measurements vs frequency?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th September 2018, 01:25 PM   #1
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Cross-talk measurements vs frequency?

I've started messing around with considering cross-talk and what it actually means in vinyl replay. As part of my homework on this trying to work out how cross talk varies with frequency and how variable this is.

Does anyone have any recordings of a single channel sweep that I can extract cross-talk from (i.e both channels recorded for a sweep on only one)?
Old 10th September 2018, 01:32 PM   #2
madis64 is offline madis64  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
I've started messing around with considering cross-talk and what it actually means in vinyl replay.

From my personal (based mostly on listening to cartridges and amplifiers with different crosstalk values both in their in their specs and measurement results) experience for me it means - foremost - presence or lack of finest detail in sound.

How are you intending to measure it - after RIAA phonostage?
Old 10th September 2018, 02:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Pre-or post RIAA doesn't matter too much as I can correct for that. Initially just trying to work out what the frequency dependence is and if the phase stays the same (which it should). Cartridge cross talk is out of phase, so in theory a cross feed of an in phase signal would cancel this out.

Now here we hit conjecture, but based on some anedotal evidence doing this (basically reducing stereo width) might actually improve the centre image and 'snap things into focus'. You will lose some of the out of phase 'vinyl ambience' so its not clear which would be preferable. I'm just interested in the actual scale of the problem and how much correction could actually be done.
Old 10th September 2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Are you wanting wave files of single channel LP sweeps?
Old 10th September 2018, 02:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you have them yes please.
Old 10th September 2018, 07:02 PM   #6
madis64 is offline madis64  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm just interested in the actual scale of the problem and how much correction could actually be done.

How exactly are you going to "correct" the crosstalk (both originating from the cartridge and the RIAA-stage)?
Old 10th September 2018, 07:27 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That depends to a degree on what the frequency dependency is. It might be as simple as splitting the L-R signal into M-S (mid side) and filtering the side with a tiny bit of attenuation. Stereo width controls have gone out of fashion, but they may have a use.

As I said entirely conjecture at the moment
Old 11th September 2018, 03:31 AM   #8
davidsrsb is offline davidsrsb  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madis64 View Post
How exactly are you going to "correct" the crosstalk (both originating from the cartridge and the RIAA-stage)?
I don't think that there is any RIAA anything like as poor as even the best cartridge
Old 11th September 2018, 06:33 AM   #9
ThomasA is online now ThomasA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I've started messing around with considering cross-talk and what it actually means in vinyl replay. As part of my homework on this trying to work out how cross talk varies with frequency and how variable this is.

Does anyone have any recordings of a single channel sweep that I can extract cross-talk from (i.e both channels recorded for a sweep on only one)?
I can record the Ortofon test LP tonight and upload. With respect to phase and cross-talk you will get in and out of phase of the crosstalk signal depending on how you turn it. Optimal is when you have the crossing.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11th September 2018, 06:40 AM   #10
ThomasA is online now ThomasA  Sweden
diyAudio Member

And as I wrote on VE about the azimuth measurements and interpretations on the korf blog. I think he is wrong since generator tilt (and not stylus tilt) will cause the effects he is measuring:

Azimuth Adjustment Myths and Reality, Part III

Cross-talk measurements vs frequency?Hide this!Advertise here!