Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The Incredible New Technics SP-10R Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Dave Cawley is offline Dave Cawley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Smile The Incredible New Technics SP-10R Thread

I know of at least 3 members here who have one. There is a whole new world out there with plinths and modifications just waiting !

Many will know me from the SP-10 thread where I attempt to help people get old ones working. This is getting more difficult (but still possible) over time.

And yes I keep them in stock and sell them.

Click here Technics SP-10R for recent reviews, manuals etc

Here in Europe they come in massive wooden crates with the SL-1000R weighing 85Kkg !

I am hoping a member here "Bon" will tell us of his adventures with plinths later ?
"if it measures well & sounds good, it is good" : "if it measures badly & sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly & sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"

Last edited by Dave Cawley; 29th August 2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 29th August 2018, 12:41 PM   #2
JP is offline JP  United States
diyAudio Member

I got mine at the end of May. No wood crate though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1485.jpg (843.7 KB, 438 views)
Old 30th August 2018, 10:35 AM   #3
Dennis Hui is offline Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

Beautiful JP!

Wonder why the difference in the way they are packed for shipping.
Old 28th November 2018, 12:27 PM   #4
Bon is offline Bon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Time to kick-start this thread. I will break up my comments into a series of smaller posts. I took possession of a Technics SP10R in August, courtesy of Dave Cawley. (Thanks for the hospitality of my brief visit, Dave). Back in Sydney, I got down to the construction of a plinth for the mighty machine. The HFN review of the SL1000R raised concerns with the performance of the Technics plinth.
http://www.soundhifi.com/images/HiFi...R%20review.pdf
I have used the mkII for two decades, in custom plinths of my own design and construction. I have experienced first hand the effect that various plinth materials and construction methods can have on sound quality. For non-suspended high torque turntables such as the SP10 mkII and SP10R, attention to the fundamentals of mass, stiffness and damping of the plinth makes a noticeable difference to the sound quality. A direct-drive turntable like the SP10R has a constantly acting servomechanism that attempts to reduce speed fluctuations to an imperceptible level. A counter torque is experienced by the mass of the chassis plus plinth. A good plinth controls spurious motion due to counter torque by mass and damping.
Old 28th November 2018, 12:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

A properly damped plinth dissipates the reaction torque and main bearing noise, minimising the influence on the plinth/tonearm interface. Over many years, I have tried many plinth materials and damping methods. My finding is that starting with a material with superior internal damping works best. Applying damping layers to stiff substrates did not get the results I wanted. A while ago I settled on isophthalic polyester resin/bentonite compound cast into a mold, as promoted by a DIY Audio member Cat Squirrel.
damping factor values - audio qualia
He has compiled damping factor test results of standard samples of many candidate plinth materials. Panzerholz is the best but the resin/bentonite is close.
Panzerholz is very expensive and hard to machine with typical DIY facilities, and was rejected. Using resin/bentonite required a quite lengthy learning process. Firstly the optimal formulation of resin+catalyst+bentonite. Then the mixing and pouring technique took time to get right. Then the process of mold making, choice of mold inserts, extraction methods for the inserts, curing time, testing mold release compounds, repair of molding defects and prep for painting, base coats application, clear coats and buffing etc.
Old 28th November 2018, 12:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The overriding principle is to use the damping properties of the resin/bentonite plinth material as a sink to damp residual vibrations from motor reaction forces and the main bearing. Another issue arises when the turntable is used with an isolation platform, such as an air table, active table or negative stiffness platform. These all decouple the supported mass from external structural vibrations experienced by the stand and support. Unfortunately decoupling works both ways. Turntable induced vibrations cannot be drained to the stand and have nowhere else to go but into whatever is in contact with the chassis. A plinth with excellent damping is a good start.
Old 28th November 2018, 12:32 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

There are a number of things I don’t like about the SL1000R plinth arrangement. The SP10R plus arm boards drop into the SL1000R plinth, like a skirt. It is open at the bottom, with the SP10R secured by nine 5mm bolts around the perimeter. The open base compromises torsional stiffness of the plinth, in my opinion. The bulk molding compound base is an extensional damping layer to control the aluminium top plate. Aluminium has a terrible damping factor compared to the best materials available. Moreover, my experience is that extensional damping layers are outperformed by materials with high internal damping. Secondly, the tonearm mounting boards are cantilevered from the edges of the SP10R chassis. I prefer a solid a mounting of the tone-arm+plinth+chassis. My ideal tone-arm mounting is a drilled plinth top plate. The chassis-plinth-tonearm connection is then as rigid as possible and better able to preserve the relative stylus-groove motion. As Yoda would say, “no tone-arm board is as good as no tone-arm board”. Of course, this is inconvenient if you want to change tonearms! My compromise is a substantial cast tonearm board similar to the bulk plinth material and rigidly connected around its full perimeter.
Old 28th November 2018, 02:04 PM   #8
ALPUY is offline ALPUY  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

US $ 10,000 up to US $ 20,000 ??
Old 28th November 2018, 11:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
My compromise is a substantial cast tonearm board similar to the bulk plinth material and rigidly connected around its full perimeter.
Here are some photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0347.jpg (851.8 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (389.6 KB, 238 views)
Old 29th November 2018, 03:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Since I have a number of excellent tonearms and cartridges, I wanted to make maximum use of the SP10R by mounting multiple tonearms. The Technics tonearms for the SL1000 are typically 10 and the chassis of the SP10R is just able to be used with a 9 tonearm like my SME IV in the standard position. The SP10R platter is off-centre to the square chassis, so when using a 12 tonearm in the standard position, there is a big space of plinth between the tonearm mount and the chassis. This unnecessary expanse of plinth material increases the already high overall mass by upwards of 5 kg. I chose to mount the SME V12 at the front right and rotate the plinth anti-clockwise by 90 degrees. Because of the platter off-set, the V12 is mounted much closer to the chassis in this position with much less wasted plinth material, keeping the overall mass down. The SME IV is now located at the rear left. Because of the peculiarities of the SME anti-skate, their arms are always at an angle to the chassis. My mounting positioning of the V12 puts its headshell above the speed selector switch. This just means I change speed, if necessary, after positioning the tonearm over the lead-in groove. It has caused me no concerns so far. Most other tonearms are designed to be parked in the straight ahead position, so this arrangement should cause no concern. Also, the styling of the SP10R labelling is very discreet and the rotated lettering is hardly noticeable. Others may disagree. A primary requirement was a compact plinth. Even so, the plinth mass is 35 kg. The overall weight of the plinth+SP10R+tonearms+stainless steel/carbon fibre mat+peripheral ring+record weight, is 67 kg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0966.jpg (425.6 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0986.jpg (542.1 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0987.jpg (934.2 KB, 76 views)

The Incredible New Technics SP-10R ThreadHide this!Advertise here!