Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The Incredible New Technics SP-10R Thread
The Incredible New Technics SP-10R Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2019, 05:08 PM   #51
wiseoldtech is online now wiseoldtech  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAP7 View Post
I just canít see itís value other that it is there because it can be.
The platter gets to speed so fast itís impossible to contemplate how more torque or less can have a tangible effect.

As it Spins so accurately it doesnít need the grunt, other than to correct outside interference.
I guess it must be marketing as the Technics own details just say have a play and see what you prefer. There is no mention of a literal effect on listening.

It did seem harder to slow down on 5, but I havenít tried enough to see if thatís expectation bias!

In the world of "DJ's", they often "slip cue" records, holding the record still and then allowing it to spin when the time is right.
So a higher torque is naturally needed to keep the platter "on speed".

Home use - consumers don't need that type of stuff.
Old 11th September 2019, 05:12 PM   #52
Musicman0578 is offline Musicman0578  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAP7 View Post
Ok.
Can anyone explain the torque to me? If it gets the platter up to speed quicker so what? The speed is held so accurately that this shouldnít matter during normal playback?
Iíve stuck mine on 5 but yet to try and real A / B testing.
I know what it is, but not why you would need the variables in a device that is about speed accuracy.
Technics donít really say much more than itís there and can be set!
SAP 7, my unit was set at ď5Ē (highest torque setting) out of the box. I initially changed it down to ď3Ē in an attempt to minimize start-up slippage of a solid graphite turntable mat Iím using (Boston Audio ďThe MatĒ). I have since used a 1 mm rubber mat or glue dots underneath the graphite mat to stop any startup slippage. If youíre using the stock rubber mat, this (of course) would not be an issue.

After this, I stared playing with the torque settings, but IMO, the proper torque setting is just personal preference on the SL-10R/SL-1000R. It did (surprisingly) seem to change the sound slightly in some cases, but it was certainly not obvious, and the subtle change seemed to depend somewhat on the program material. Less torque seemed slightly smoother and more laid back, more torque seemed to have slightly more punch and energy, but the change was so very slight that I sometimes think I only just convinced myself of this. So, your preference (if any) may vary with program material, or with changes in phono cartridges and other associated gear.

Later, I plugged the SL-1000R into my PS Audio AC power re-generator (it has a very tightly regulated AC output voltage and AC frequency), the audible torque setting differences seemed to become even less noticeable (or unnoticeable). Then again, the differences were so very slight to begin with, so I have just left the torque set in the middle at ď3Ē. The only real difference left now is the startup speed.

Iím just guessing here, but I suspect Technics provides alternative settings to optimize sound/performance for various AC power conditions. The power supply makes continual corrections to keep the platter at a constant speed, so a change in the torque value would vary the speed correction waveform (shape and duration), so it does make technical sense that it can (potentially) change the sound. I suspect those in areas with poorer AC conditions (greater variation in AC voltage and frequency) may notice greater differences between the torque settings than I did.

Iíve also heard of some using very heavy platter mats and record weights of around 0.7 kg each (1.4 kg total) on the SL-10R/SL-1000R, so Technicís may have been anticipating these differences when providing optional torque settings too.

I look at it this way, if you notice an audible difference, use the torque setting that pleases your ears Ė thereís no right or wrong setting. If you want to go the technical route, find the setting that provides the lowest wow and flutter (if you even have a way of testing accurately enough) Ė but you may find there is no significant change here with torque settings either.

Although the differences are probably very slight, the motor and power supply are likely most stressed at startup when using either the lowest, or highest torque setting, so my logic is to use settings other than ď1Ē or ď5Ē (unless you find they provide better sound or measured performance). Itís odd that my other Technics (SL-1200G) has an ďAutomaticĒ torque setting by default, where it has higher torque at startup and then it drops once the platter is up to speed. Iím not sure why Technics wouldnít have this setting option on the SL-10R/SL-1000R too.
Old 11th September 2019, 08:15 PM   #53
SAP7 is offline SAP7
diyAudio Member

Interesting.
I’m still not sure it’s much use though!

The Incredible New Technics SP-10R ThreadHide this!Advertise here!