Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

The Incredible New Technics SP-10R Thread
The Incredible New Technics SP-10R Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2018, 04:59 AM   #11
JP is offline JP  United States
diyAudio Member

When measuring the motor drive and how much current is applied during nominal running conditions, start and stop, and when a very minor disturbance occur, you'll find the reaction torque theory doesn't hold water.
Old 29th November 2018, 05:31 AM   #12
Bon is offline Bon  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
When measuring the motor drive and how much current is applied during nominal running conditions, start and stop, and when a very minor disturbance occur, you'll find the reaction torque theory doesn't hold water.
I put the plinth + SP10R (no tonearms) on a lazy susan with a low friction ball-race track. When switching on the motor, the whole > 65 kg rig rotated in the opposite direction to the platter greater than 90 degrees due to reaction torque. There same occurs on switch off in the opposite direction. It was essentially friction and the resistance of the power supply lead than stopped the motion. Of course when close to nominal speed the correction torque variation is small, but is it negligible? I haven't measured it. Try the lazy susan trick yourself. It is fascinating.
Old 29th November 2018, 04:28 PM   #13
JP is offline JP  United States
diyAudio Member

During start and stop is obvious. During operation it's inconsequential. The lazy susan trick would be a poor test for this scenario.
Old 29th November 2018, 11:38 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
Here are some photos.
One curious thing about the SP10R, is the use of 4 extra fixing bolts to the 5 of the mkII, for a total of 9. I wondered why so many? I can only guess that Technics identified resonance nodal points that they wanted to control. When I examined the underside, I found that it was surprisingly quite resonant at various points. Especially the thin cover plate underneath the switches and buttons. The additional fixing points are not in this area though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0156.jpeg (518.7 KB, 149 views)
Old 30th November 2018, 11:59 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon View Post
Here are some photos.
The quality of the components justified a superior support, and this is supplied by a MinusK 150 BM-8 negative stiffness platform. I was very surprised at the difference it made. The noise floor dropped noticeably. I considered that my previous plinth isolation feet were pretty good but the MinusK is in another league. The immediate first impression was that everything was louder. I had to turn my pre-amp down a couple of notches to get my usual comfortable listening level. The music is now sitting above a reduced level of grunge. I am confident that this is the MinusK contribution, since I had been listening to the SP10R on conventional isolation feet for a number of weeks before the MinusK arrived. I am wary of giving my subjective opinion, since everyone will hear differently. Overall, I would summarise the combination sound as smoothness with enhanced detail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1026.jpg (648.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1028.jpg (792.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 7th December 2018, 05:37 PM   #16
Dave Cawley is offline Dave Cawley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Time for an update from me. The price was widely speculated as being higher than it actually is. From Japan to Europe and onto the USA, bearing in mind local taxes and exchange rates, is almost exactly the same everywhere. There are some countries where they are not available and I can help there. The current prices are :-

SP-10R UK 7,995.00 including 20% sales tax (6,662.50 less sales tax) USA $9,995.00

SL-1000R UK 13,995.00 including UK sales tax (11,662.50 less sales tax) USA $18,000.00

I am disappointed to report that all of my 3 plinth projects have failed. They were either going to cost too much or not meet our desires. We are now on a 4th iteration ! However as shown in the first post the SP-10R can be used without a plinth at all.

There have been comments about the SL-1000R plinth and without listening to one I felt the same, especially about the arm supplied. However I have a SL-1000R on my own system now with a Glanz MH-104S, Glanz Stainless Steel armboard and a Miyajima Madake. It is stunning, no feedback in any direction and it easily passes the knuckle test !

I was at the UK pre-launch in November 2017 where a PowerPoint presentation went on endlessly about many things, including the SL-1000R plinth which I took with a pinch of salt. But as it turns out they were right. The plinth against all odds and perceived wisdom is very, very good. There is no doubt that my up-coming new one and Bon's is better and of course recommended. But for out of the box WAF, the SL-1000R is great.

Measurements suggest very little energy is applied to the motor whilst it is running. Of course with a low compliance cartridge and a high mass arm, the plinth needs to dissipate that energy without feeding back into the platter. The reviewer of the HiFi News article said to me in person, how quiet the lead-in groves were on known records, I have encountered the same and turned up the volume expecting a given level, but had to turn it back down again. This isn't of course louder, just that the surface noise appears to be quieter. More later (probably) !
Oh, and as usual YMMV..................
"if it measures well & sounds good, it is good" : "if it measures badly & sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly & sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"
Old 11th February 2019, 12:04 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

But for out of the box WAF, the SL-1000R is great.
Dave, you are one of the few people able to do a head-to-head of SP10R against SP10mk3. Any opinions, measurement-wise and subjectively?
Old 11th February 2019, 08:27 AM   #18
Dave Cawley is offline Dave Cawley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Bon

Yes JP and I own and have heard both. They are different and there is no escaping that. Measurement wise there is nothing in it. Sound, well I'm not sure, the MK3 has a heaver platter and a bigger bearing and here expectation bias kicks in.

In essence there is no difference. The big thing is that the Mk3 is difficult to service and I believe only JP and I can do this. Mk3's are still about the same price as the new R.

In an ideal world you should have both. If that's not an option then the SP-10R is a no brainer.

Does that help ?

Dave
"if it measures well & sounds good, it is good" : "if it measures badly & sounds bad it is bad" : "if it measures badly & sounds good, it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad it is bad"

The Incredible New Technics SP-10R ThreadHide this!Advertise here!