Ortofon Alignment Protractor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Has anyone used this Ortofon Alignment Protractor? (Picture Below)

I can't seem to find any information on using the 4 (Increase / Decrease) Overhang idents near the Ortofon Logo, or if it would even apply in my case.

I will be using it to check the alignment of a Ortofon VMS20E MKII cartridge fitted to a ADC Magnesium Head shell on a 1979 Rega Planar 3, with the "R" or RB200 Tone arm.

The last time this was setup was around 1980 !!, So I thought I ought to revisit it before fitting a Brand New (Rare as Hens Teeth) Genuine Stylus.

I have a Thakker D 20 E fitted at the moment while I work my way through my record collection which seem to have developed all sorts of Nasties during their 25+ years hibernation, Nothing that a good clean can't fix though.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Ortofon Pro.jpg
    Ortofon Pro.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 147
Not sure if that is the right protractor to use with the R200. Since you are setting it up new why not try an arc protractor. You should be able to download one. I don't have a good answer to your question though. It looks to me like you would use those to set overhang but I can't get my head around how you would index the card.

Not sure if that is the right protractor to use with the R200. Since you are setting it up new why not try an arc protractor. You should be able to download one. I don't have a good answer to your question though. It looks to me like you would use those to set overhang but I can't get my head around how you would index the card.

Thanks for the reply, Yes the Cartridge / Cantilever grids are straightforward enough, but the overhang Idents and how they should be used is a bit of a mystery, I might have a look on the Vinyl Engine forum and see if I can find a bit more info, although two evenings spent looking so far and haven't found an answer as yet, But the sure fire way as you say would be to use an Arc Protractor.

Looks as though the one I should be using is the (Rega Baerwald Protractor), Have just downloaded it and printed out from the Vinyl Engine Website, Tomorrow when there's a bit more light and I can see what the hell I'm doing I'll try it out, It'll be interesting to see how good a job I did of aligning the cartridge about 39 years ago, and my eyesight was good ! :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.