Gain resistors on JLH phono

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello again

just a couple of pointers

1. is that case earthed ? as it should be earthed to the star point of your psu or a earth lift resistor

2. You have the power supply cables running over the most sensitive part of the circuit, these should be screened or twisted together

3. The 5 v regulators should be installed

4. This design was designed by one of the most respected designers in the field at the time .. I would cheekily say you expect to much from your construction skills not the design :cheers:

Yes a bit too cheeky!

Your hum problem is probably down to the removal of both 5V regulators , they were there to increase the smoothing on the rails that feed the more sensitive input circuitry.

My mistake , I see now on closer inspection of the photos that you have removed both on board 5V regulators and replaced them with your own off board 5V regs .My apologies to "jamesfeline" also for probably giving him a bum steer .

My mistake , I see now on closer inspection of the photos that you have removed both on board 5V regulators and replaced them with your own off board 5V regs .My apologies to "jamesfeline" also for probably giving him a bum steer .

& the rails are regulated the same as in the 5v rail comes from the output of the 15v reg to keep the same design as the circuit itself.

Ok .... sorry

was not helpful .. but points 1 to 3 are valid

Point 3 will never be valid

Thanks goes to Anthony.Taylor1967 for helping me work out the input was connected to MC input giving me the very high millvolt settings, now it has been connected to the correct inputs the voltage is now back down to -30mvac.

This has removed the deepened hiss sound from the signal to noise ratio bringing that down to the specified 26db below groove noise.
To do this I have had to strip the unit back down & also remove that darn anoying 6 pole connector which takes over 10 mins to re-connect due to it's poor design.

I have also re-wired the 0v to the single input point & brought it back via the phono ground lead connection then to the psu making this the single point connection. (see photos)

The +- voltage connections have all been twisted together coming back to a 4-pole connection to the psu. This is were 5vdc is taken from the 15dc reg making 5vdc a double regulation circuit just like it does on the board but with psu voltage regulation is 4 identical circuits for perfect symetry (mirror image design).

That all from me in this room of the forum, I would like to thank everyone for help/no help & the insults from people who don't look at photo's properly before going on infactual rants.

The Photo of the psu is different one but same circuit board & work just like any other psu in the world

Regards

J247W

Attachments

• JLH 01.jpg
    JLH 01.jpg
    628.8 KB · Views: 98
  • JLH 02.jpg
    JLH 02.jpg
    599.1 KB · Views: 107
  • JLH 03.jpg
    JLH 03.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 96
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Point 3 will never be valid

Thanks goes to Anthony.Taylor1967 for helping me work out the input was connected to MC input giving me the very high millvolt settings, now it has been connected to the correct inputs the voltage is now back down to -30mvac.

This has removed the deepened hiss sound from the signal to noise ratio bringing that down to the specified 26db below groove noise.
To do this I have had to strip the unit back down & also remove that darn anoying 6 pole connector which takes over 10 mins to re-connect due to it's poor design.

I have also re-wired the 0v to the single input point & brought it back via the phono ground lead connection then to the psu making this the single point connection. (see photos)

The +- voltage connections have all been twisted together coming back to a 4-pole connection to the psu. This is were 5vdc is taken from the 15dc reg making 5vdc a double regulation circuit just like it does on the board but with psu voltage regulation is 4 identical circuits for perfect symetry (mirror image design).

That all from me in this room of the forum, I would like to thank everyone for help/no help & the insults from people who don't look at photo's properly before going on infactual rants.

The Photo of the psu is different one but same circuit board & work just like any other psu in the world

Regards

J247W

in your opinion :p ... next time please do not ask for help if you do not like what you receive :mad:

very ungrateful in my opinion ... as for spice, what is this ? some sort of drug:cuss:

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
good riddance ...next time please do not post such a short post ... next time to suck our knowledge then just leave .. very poor in my opinion :p ... next time please do not ask for help if you do not like what you receive :mad:

very ungrateful in my opinion ... as for spice, what is this ? some sort of drug:cuss:

people in glass houses pleases to not through stones .. feed back is a wonderful gift

Last edited:
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Ok ... finally reviewed this thread again ..

I will start eating humble pie ... but please do not poke the bee hive with a stick, as a reaction will be guaranteed

but feedback taken and will make sure my little out burst will not happen again

best regards ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.