Cartridge dynamic behaviour

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No, because one does not know that the source was not 'tuned' to provide such results, nor that it isn't happy coincidence. One has to start somewhere, and that could equally be to assume that good cartridge playback is flat and minimum phase, and calibrate a record to that.... which may or may not be true in an absolute sense.
I find it hard to agree with that.
I have my doubts wether it is even important if a recorded track is straight or tuned.
When played with a Cart beyond suspicion, the outcome of the FR becomes a de facto reference no matter how it looks, unless modulation is such that it is beyond the reach of an MM cartridge, which can hardly be the case here at -20dB.
And may I repeat that several independant PN recordings but also stereo and single channel sweeps gave all the same results. How a coincidence can that be ?

The test records I have most confidence in, because of the pedigree of Decca engineering at the time, are the spots and sweeps from Decca's SKL and SXL test records from the late 50s/early 60s. These are the test records that produce flat response from an OM40 and Aurak over the audioband. Whether that is absolute, is very difficult to prove.
I have no problem at all to change my opinion based on decent facts, so could you please give me the exact name of one such record plus the track nr to play, so I can try to locate this record somewhere and see what it brings.

A plausible scenario for the DIYaudio test record is that we would have applied a flat source, measured what was actually obtained from consensus on good rigs, and then 'corrected' the source so the result obtained by consensus was flat in a 2nd pressing iteration. But that's not an absolute reference. Trust you can see the difference.
Sorry to say, but that almost sounds like a contradictio in terminis because the tuning you disliked at first is brought back into the equation for the DIY test record :D

Hans

Last edited:
I don't understand, the plot I posted was 76dB at 500Hz and 76dB at 12kHz and 73dB at 5kHz +-1.5dB.
A bit more accurate then my previous said -3dB +5dB, see image below with your plots:
The CV plot was -2,8dB@5.5kHz and +0.5dB@12.5kHz.
The Adjust+ plot was 0dB@5.5kHz and 4.2dB@12.5kHz.

Difference bewtween the two recordings is thus: -2.8dB@5.5kHz and +3.7dB@12.5kHz.

Hans

Attachments

• pink8a.jpg
    pink8a.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 119
If of interest, here's a 1-50kHz CV glide from a P100CMK4: Dropbox - 1-50_P100CMK4.wav

Denon XG-7002 test record.
Here is the spectrum of your recording, it's ca. +/-1.5dB from 1kHz to 50khz, very nice.
The Red line in the plot shows the 10dB/dec roll down of a logarithmic sweep.
A CV played through a Riaa Preamp should have shown the Riaa curve, true ?
Your recording is 33sec or 18 revolutions.
These 18 occurrences are visible in your recording because of eccentricity or warp.

Hans

Attachments

• P100CMK4.jpg
    P100CMK4.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 121
A bit more accurate then my previous said -3dB +5dB, see image below with your plots:

What if you ran the CV plot on the same LP and got the same slope as me but no peaking, looks like the difference would be ~ 4.2dB coincidence? In other words we still have apples and oranges, if the CV plot is correct my cart can't possibly get the right slope on a PN track and yours by coincidence matches exactly?

BTW my plots are corrected for deviation from truly log sweep, just to eliminate another confounder.

Last edited:
What if you ran the CV plot on the same LP and got the same slope as me but no peaking, looks like the difference would be ~ 4.2dB coincidence? In other words we still have apples and oranges, if the CV plot is correct my cart can't possibly get the right slope on a PN track and yours by coincidence matches exactly?

That's precisely the point I tried to address a few postings before, regarding the strange discrepancy between the two curves.
Cartridge dynamic behaviour
I may be totally wrong, but I thought a CV recording played through a flat preamp should give a flat FR, that was exactly what I asked you in that posting, but no answer.

A logarithmic sweep goes down by 3dB/oct .
So now it seems that it is this log sweep that you have used and the two worlds do come precisely together and match perfectly within 0.1dB to +4.2dB@12.5kHz.
Problem with the discrepancy is completely solved and at the same time we have a nice prove how well the Adjust+ PN corresponds to your CBS record !
No apples and oranges, just apples and apples so it seems to me.

BTW my plots are corrected for deviation from truly log sweep, just to eliminate another confounder.
Could you please elaborate what this means. What exact correction are we talking about ? I thought we had solved the discrepancy problem, but now a new ingredient is added.

Hans

To JP and Scott,

Sorry, but after having given it some thoughts, I agree that a flat recorded logarithmic sweep is a CV sweep after all and will result in a 10dB/dec roll off FR when played through a flat preamp.
The idea of getting a flat FR is only possible with a linear sweep.

So a CV and a logarithmic sweep are one and the same thing.

Hans

Could you please elaborate what this means. What exact correction are we talking about ? I thought we had solved the discrepancy problem, but now a new ingredient is added.

I measure instantaneous frequency and amplitude so it does not matter what shape the sweep has. That was the only way I could spin the LP by hand and get any sense in the results. That's why when I took the fixed 3150kHz tone and spun it up and let the speed decay however it wanted to I had to apply the CV and RIAA correction to get exactly the same result as the CV sweep at a constant RPM (recorded flat).

A final experiment would be to spin up a fixed tone and record it with a flat pre-amp as it spins down. The velocity would be exactly related to the frequency ratio no more errors from the LP or pre-amp equalization. Of course LD could comment on effects from stylus vinyl interface vs speed.

Last edited:
Precisely - and so an absolute standard is abandoned.
Right, now where can I buy one of these carts beyond suspicion ?
You just don't get it, Hans.
LD

To my feeling is a Cart that is specified to within +/-1dB up to 50kHz and one that plays a PN track up to 30kHz within +/-0.5dB, beyond reasonable suspicion and at least good enough to be used as a reference for the purpose in this Thread.
You may have read in my recent discussion with Scott, that after having solved a misunderstanding, his CV recording and PN against my reference was even within 0.1dB.

So I'm rather anxious to hear your definition of beyond suspicion within the frequency band of 20kHz and at reasonable levels.
If we don't accept important tools like records and Carts as a reference, we will keep turning in circles, for which I think is no need.

Hans

To my feeling is a Cart that is specified to within +/-1dB up to 50kHz and one that plays a PN track up to 30kHz within +/-0.5dB

Hans, I don't see how you can make that conclusion. Your first plot in #982 shows the low frequency slopes lining up exactly, that means both carts have the same CV errors, I did not correct this plot for deviation from CV. My cart can not give the correct slope on PN to .1dB. Those plots can not line up unless your cart has the same 2 or 3dB error at 5k.

Am I to understand that all of your PN tests from various test records produce identical and near perfect audioband results? How did I miss that? :rolleyes:

LD
That sounds rather sarcastic, but may not be meant that way.
You know better from my previous postings that in search for a perfect 10dB/oct record without glitches I finally landed at the CH precision record that gave perfect results from 2kHz to 30kHz and that the Adjust+ record gave smooth glitchfree results up to 20kHz, but was only perfect from 20Hz to 2kHz for the situation that you see the constant 3dB/oct as a perfect result.
These two records were my FR results were communicated with the record makers, were used to get the confidence that the Cart was working properly.

But what I have shown is that speeding up and slowing down of all the various test records with PN and sweeps resulted in the same error band of +/-0.5dB up to 20kHz with reference to the original speed.
So they all produced near identical perfect results. This was to my opinion a severe test and proof of the pudding to get a confirmation that this Cart could be regarded as a proper measuring instrument.

And that brings me back to the point that when the used Cart can be seen as a reference, that in that case playing a noise spectrum from a record, the FR can be seen as a de facto reference.

Hans

You know better from my previous postings that in search for a perfect 10dB/oct record without glitches I finally landed at the CH precision record that gave perfect results from 2kHz to 30kHz and that the Adjust+ record gave smooth glitchfree results up to 20kHz, but was only perfect from 20Hz to 2kHz for the situation that you see the constant 3dB/oct as a perfect result.
Trust you can see this is circular, and a matter of selection of specific test records to obtain a set result: even then subject to restrictions.

this Cart could be regarded as a proper measuring instrument.
Trust you can see the circular argument.

LD

Hans, I don't see how you can make that conclusion. Your first plot in #982 shows the low frequency slopes lining up exactly, that means both carts have the same CV errors, I did not correct this plot for deviation from CV. My cart can not give the correct slope on PN to .1dB. Those plots can not line up unless your cart has the same 2 or 3dB error at 5k.
For one thing I'm glad and that is that we are having a real discussion going on, that should help to bring us further along the line.
Responding to your above comment:
"that means that both carts have the same CV errors"; Question, why should this be the case ?
Your assumption seems to be that they have CV errors at 5kHz, why should they ?

My Cart presented by the red line shows an almost perfect straight line up to 10kHz, why should it have 2-3dB error at 5kHz and why should your Cart have a 2-3dB error at 5kHz ?
I think the image shows that it has no deviation at all at 5kHz.
How could the CH Precision record give a perfect 10db/dec line from 2kHz up to 30kHz when having 2-3dB errors at 5kHz ?
I don't get your point.

Hans

Hans you said yourself they went back and forth to get desired results, what was their reference? You can not optically verify a PN cut, you can only make them change things until you see what you want to see on your reference set up. My assumption is that the cutting lathe and cart are complements in an ideal case. Driving a cutter with a constant amplitude sweep should be easy and a perfect cart should give constant amplitude out. PN brings in extra unknowns.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.