Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Cartridge dynamic behaviour
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2019, 10:15 PM   #1511
gpapag is offline gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Moderator

AKG P8ES_R channel
Audio Technica AT110E_R channel
Dual ULM65E_R channel
Ortofon Super OM10_R channel
Pickering 950EE/MKII_L channel
Shure SC35C_R channel
Attached Images
File Type: png 1 AKG P8ES_R all signal levels.png (119.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: png 2 AT100E_R all signal levels.png (128.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: png 3 Dual ULM65E_R all signal levels.png (112.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: png 4 Ortofon Super OM10_R all signal levels.png (113.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: png 5 Pickering 950EE-MKII_L all signal levels.png (106.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: png 6 Shure SC35C_R all signal levels.png (107.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: png 7 all carts at 80mV.png (145.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 2nd June 2019, 11:26 PM   #1512
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
A question for billshurv:

Have you got your TWISTED PEAR based AURAK up and running yet?
Hi Rick,

Short answer is (embarassingly) no. Life has somehow got in the way of catching up with my project backlog. But recovery plan is in place. Now in a way this has been a blessing as we've since discovered, thanks to Hans and George that some cartridges I thought would work really well with this don't. And the ortofon SuperOM, which does work is so far from the factory specs that it needs the loading rejigging. Should have it running soon.
Old 3rd June 2019, 12:45 AM   #1513
JP is offline JP  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Polak View Post
To my disappointment Ortofon has yet not responded to several emails with my friendly questions regarding their test record.

That leaves us to decide on our own whether this CV test record can be used for testing MM cartridges.
JP have you already found some time to play this record with different termination settings ?
To my feeling this record is OK. up to 40 kHz within +/- 1dB when played at 45rpm.
And we also have the preemphased CH Precision record, going within +/- 1dB up to 30 kHz.
When JP can confirm this FR, we could start closing the circle with validated records and equivalent circuits for 8 Carts to find the Tranfer Circuit for the Carts motor function.

Hans
Sorry haven't had time yet. Took on a couple favor 'table restorations that have taken my free time.
Old 3rd June 2019, 01:18 PM   #1514
rickmcinnis is offline rickmcinnis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshurv View Post
Hi Rick,

Short answer is (embarassingly) no. Life has somehow got in the way of catching up with my project backlog. But recovery plan is in place. Now in a way this has been a blessing as we've since discovered, thanks to Hans and George that some cartridges I thought would work really well with this don't. And the ortofon SuperOM, which does work is so far from the factory specs that it needs the loading rejigging. Should have it running soon.
Thanks for the update.

I figured you would have made more mention if you had.

I do know you have good excuses for not putting it together.

As long as the boards are not available - I do hope they were serious about restocking them - it is a moot point.

I am using a SOUNDSMITH Zephyr cartridge. I wrote a note to them asking about using it into a balanced input and have heard nothing. I hope this one is not one for the list of NOT GOOD for AURAK. I need a low compliance cartridge and there are not many of them, good ones, in the MM/MI world. Unlike you I am a one cartridge at a time fellow. Though, as you can see, I am a spendthrift.

I do look forward to hearing how it works for you. I will wait patiently to follow.

Thanks for all of the information your thread has revealed. I know you have had plenty of help but the one who starts something always deserves special credit. I should mention the kindness of Mr. Polak who has answered a few of my questions along with his thread dedicated to AURAK.

You know you are following a "good" thread when there are such great collaborators/contributors. This one has an all-star cast.

Thanks and take care,
Old 3rd June 2019, 02:06 PM   #1515
billshurv is online now billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I should note that, although not yet a reason for the aurak delays I have a couple of voltage mode balanced circuits I am planning to try out after I get the aurak working. I believe the soundsmith it based on B&O MMC series so if someone knows which model we can probably borrow one to get it measured.

I only need to change 6 resistors to do the testing so I have no excuse not to crack on and see what happens.

I didn't really start the thread, I just pulled an interesting nugget out a discussion and the clever guys picked it up and ran with it . The thanks should go to all of them.

Cartridge dynamic behaviourHide this!Advertise here!