Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Cartridge dynamic behaviour
Cartridge dynamic behaviour
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Today, 06:35 PM   #1281
scott wurcer is online now scott wurcer  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
In other words if you drive the circuit with a voltage in series with R you get a large voltage gain, but obviously no power gain.
LD I hope you're with me here, it's an impedance transformation so the voltage goes up and the current goes down (or visa-versa) just like with a transformer so the power/energy is constant. The relationship between R and Q squared in the L/C circuit is analogous to R and N squared in a transformer.
Old Today, 09:11 PM   #1282
Hans Polak is offline Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I finalized my search for finding replacements circuits for all 5 Carts that Bill made available.
There are great differences, like between the inductance of the Ortofon 40 versus the Denon DL-107.
Nevertheless most carts seem to perform quite well in a classical voltage amp setup.
All Ortofons needed a somewhat larger cap of resp. 250pF for the Ortofon Super OM10 and the Ortofon 40, and 350pF for the Ortofon S-120 to prevent an early roll off at high end
The Denon DL-107 and the AT 150MLX where fine with 47k//150pF.

For the Virtual ground topology, the Ortofon 40 and S-120 did not respond that well, despite meticulous tuning to cancel the created pole and needed an extra 11usec pole to keep HF under control.
The other 3 Carts didnít need such correction.
All 5 Carts showed an extended BW in the Virtual Ground topology, just as expected.

My test gear was suited for testing above 2mV on the Cart. To go any lower will need the use of bandpass filters to lower the scopes noise of 100uV.
Although these filters are available, it will make the testing process to take considerable more time and for the moment I donít see a real need to go much lower.

One thing has to be kept in mind. I measured the replacement circuits as if a constant voltage is generated by the motor when playing at CV.
This will most likely not be the case, so when knowing the recorded FR from a well known test record, like the CH Precision record up to 30kHz or the Ortofon record up to 50kHz, both played at 45rpm,will enable to finding the transfer function from CV to motor voltage.
This would definitely help to get more insight in the Carts functioning.
I leave this recording job for these 5 Carts to someone else since my system is not optimised for MM Carts, but will be happy to help in finding the missing transfer function.

To keep things together, the final results for all 5 Carts together are attached.

Hans
Attached Images
File Type: png AT150MLX-2.png (42.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Deno DL-107.png (42.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png Ortofon 40.png (47.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png Ortofon S-120.png (48.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: png Ortofon Super OM 10.png (42.9 KB, 10 views)

Cartridge dynamic behaviourHide this!Advertise here!