Teres platter options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah. I can get #9. Anything smaller is unobtainium. Of course, the smaller the sphere, the more you can pack into a given cylinder. The greatest density involves a mix of sphere sizes. Some Russian geometer made a formula for that but the brain cells that retained that info died a while back.

Weight wise small is better. The fun begins with the vibration control. Small, large, combo, how much surface contact etc.etc.etc... And the bottom line when you get to the end of the math, is how does it sound? You should be between 30-40 lbs loaded, that seems to be a sweet spot.

Enjoy the ride
Tom

You do have the copper top. How thick is the platter? The outside is most important. Not sure hole size, how many, and how deep. How much does weigh now?

You should be able to do the math for a close total weight. Subtract the removed aluminum weight then add the lead weight and your home.

Tom

517E64C0-CD8F-4280-AE56-B8CECE76F7E5.jpg

5DDE8245-A5D5-4226-B7D6-2C89EB1CD830.jpg

The holes are 2.00 inches x 2.25 inches deep

Interesting.

I have been struggling with finishing options - my approach uses a combination of POM (Delrin) and Aluminium. Delrin is relatively easy to clean using isopropyl, but the aluminium platter, even when anodized, can sometimes "stain".

It turns out that the bearing oil I've found most success with (in my approach) is slightly alkaline, and that dissolves the oxide layer causing the "staining". Apparently I have trouble wiping the oil from my fingers before handling the platter. :)

Lacquering would be an interesting approach, but won't that chip?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.