Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Teres platter options
Teres platter options
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2018, 11:01 PM   #81
Seth Hensel is offline Seth Hensel  United States
diyAudio Member

Teres platter options
There are several protective finishes available for copper e.g. Copperfield, Everbright. Caswell sells a coating for raw aluminum called “Sharkhide”. They’re all insanely expensive.
Old 15th September 2018, 11:12 PM   #82
Seth Hensel is offline Seth Hensel  United States
diyAudio Member

Teres platter options
TomWh asked about dimensions. 12.24 x 2.78. Holes are 2 dia. X 2.25 deep
Old 6th October 2018, 12:45 AM   #83
Drummerboy2 is offline Drummerboy2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWh View Post
I actually have one that I did the 1 1/2 brass rod 2 inches long. I drilled a 6 mm hole and tapped them. Then you bolt them from the bottom. Now you could use all kinds of material and just bolt them in. One caution, if you use stainless you need to use a decent mat. I tried stainless inserts, with no mat, and the cartridge would jump when the platter was in motion. Stainless is more magnetic that you think.

I am a big fan of heavy platters what you use to get there is sometimes a voicing thing to your taste and system. I have a big chuck of delrin, will lead load the crap out of it. That should get the weight where I want it. Then I will listen.

Enjoy the ride
Tom

"Stainless is more magnetic that you think"

If it's TRUE Stainless Steel, it is NOT magnetic. A magnet will just fall right off. Only Stainless Steel with some iron properties in it will be magnetic and that is NOT Stainless Steel.
Old 6th October 2018, 01:19 AM   #84
TomWh is offline TomWh  United States
diyAudio Member

You might do a Google search to answer your question about true stainless steel. Both 303 and 304 are a little magnetic. These are very common and called stainless steel. So for anyone who wants use stainless in their platter get your magnet out when buying the stainless steel.

Enjoy the ride
Tom
Old 6th October 2018, 05:38 AM   #85
Drummerboy2 is offline Drummerboy2  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't need to do a google search, I used to work for a metal mart where we used magnets to sort out the "True" Stainless Steel from the dirty or the so called stainless steel that had iron properties. The problem is that the term stainless steel is being used for stuff that looked like true stainless steel but wasn't. Anyways, you are correct about using the magnet to find true stainless steel.
Old 6th October 2018, 03:29 PM   #86
jobst is offline jobst  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

400 series stainless is magnetic. Cold worked 300 series can become magnetic. If non-magnetic properties are important to you, more specification than "stainless steel" is needed.

Teres platter optionsHide this!Advertise here!