Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Teres platter options
Teres platter options
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2018, 12:57 PM   #11
TomWh is offline TomWh  United States
diyAudio Member

I did not make any drawings but depending on bearing and pulley size they could all be different. So default size would be 12" diameter. Height would be based on looks, weight and what you did with the bearing/plinth pairing. From there you see how the bearing wants to mate to platter(teres wants slide fit with 90 degree shoulder).

Now you bore your underside hole to clear the bearing and put the shoulder on platter for the bearing mating. On adding weight( brass, SS, lead etc) drill the holes (with CNC or by hand with rotary table. You want to keep things balanced and the more on the outside the better for inertia. Then figure out how you want to cap the holes if you use lead shot (counter sink with cap is one way). Gram scale the weights to keep things in balance.
How the machine shop goes at this will depend on his machines.

Hope this helps
Tom
Old 9th March 2018, 01:08 PM   #12
mattzan is offline mattzan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Nice TT Tom! How about the bearings? Care to explain what do I need to pay attention when building one of those?

I'm just finishing Bill's combo (motor and sg-4 controller) and now I'm looking for platters/bearings ideas for my TT.

Matt.
Old 9th March 2018, 02:11 PM   #13
TomWh is offline TomWh  United States
diyAudio Member

Matt

Google teres and red point bearing, there are pictures and discussions about them. Red point is a little larger with a long threaded body, which allows for easy adjustment of platter height. They use a stainless spindles and brass bodies. Suppose to be .0002 clearance. Never measured either one.

My experience with large mass platters and turntables is the bearing is important but not as much as getting a big heavy platter. You can play around with how you mate the platter and bearing and lower ball bearing and thrust plate. In a perfect world you could press fit or loctite 609 the spindle on to the platter, then machine the spindle. Now platter changing very involved.

Hope this helps some.
Tom
Old 10th March 2018, 05:42 PM   #14
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

The original Teres bearing was .75" and the early (at least) Redpoints were .8"... How one arranges the flange for the platter is a matter of choice, really....
Old 10th March 2018, 05:47 PM   #15
vinylkid58 is online now vinylkid58  Canada
diyAudio Member

Teres platter options
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWh View Post
Those are my arms. They are around 12.5 inches. They are Jewel unipivot with oil damping. Tried alum, carbon fiber, and various wood arm tubes. Wood won the fight in my system. Still playing with different woods.
Very nice Tom.

jeff
Old 10th March 2018, 08:08 PM   #16
woodturner-fran is offline woodturner-fran  Ireland
diyAudio Member

watching.....
Old 10th March 2018, 10:13 PM   #17
mattzan is offline mattzan  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Teres stopped fabricating their bearings? About the platter Im thinking 2” aluminum platter with lead shots (outside holes) on the bottom. Top I was thinking 1” aluminum or PVC.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:12 AM   #18
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Teres started as a DIY group project, but went commercial after a few years...Chris Brady continued as TeresAudio, and Thom Mackris went on to found Redpoint audiodesign..
Old 17th March 2018, 07:58 PM   #19
nrenter is offline nrenter  United States
diyAudio Member

Chris @ Teres Audio sent me a .pdf of the platter dimensions that fits the Teres bearing. PM me at nrenter (at) alumni (dot) northwestern (dot) edu if you'd like me to forward.

Now I'm trying to find a machinist to make me a couple platters - one out of solid black Delrin, and another out of solid black Delrin that has 2 (or 3) rows of 2.5" deep holes around the perimeter of the underside so I can lead-load them (and cap w/ an epoxied friction-fit cap). The diameters of said holes are TBD. I've reached out to a couple in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area (in the United States), but haven't received a response (they're probably not interested in making a whopping 2 platters for some nut-job audiophile).
Old 21st April 2018, 04:57 PM   #20
nrenter is offline nrenter  United States
diyAudio Member

Per a suggestion...I downloaded the CAD software from CNC Manufacturing, Prototyping, Fast Quotes & Free CAD | eMachineShop and began to design a Delrin platter to the Teres specs (plus holes to lead-load it - need to determine the best way to cap the holes and incorporate the caps into the design). If we could get 10 people together (and could agree on the design) the cost would drop to around $500 per-platter. For a one-off, it's closer to $1200 (if I recall correctly). The software package is relatively easy to use, but I'm not confident in my CAD skills, so if we can find enough people to place an order, we may want to collaborate on the design.

Teres platter optionsHide this!Advertise here!