Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Phono switching with relays.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2018, 09:34 AM   #41
spaceistheplace is offline spaceistheplace
diyAudio Member

Default Phono switching with relays.

In my mind it is completely absurd bordering criminal that a switching device does not exist which can handle multiple (letís say anything more than 2) TTs, any input either stepped up for MC or pass through for mm and even *gasp* handle both C and R loading.

Thereís about 5 gazillion tonearms, TTs and cartridges out there. One would think some people have more than one of each and want some degree of versatility for fiddling?

Every time I see this topic come up it usually gets shut down with a variety of canned reasons from ďyou donít need that reallyĒ to ďbeginners mistakeĒ to ďitís too preciously low of a signal to mess with like thatĒ

Surely the great minds here could surmount the technical obstacles without audible degradation? Iíd even trade some minor degradation for less battling the sea of wires tucked behind my credenza.

Personally I think it could be a giant conspiracy against us Bill, but thatís just me ;-)

Either way Iíll be following with interest.

Only ones Iím aware of currently are the boxes by David Hadaway of dB systems... spartan looking to say the least and itís a multi-box affair. The switches donít use relays- all rotary.

Last edited by spaceistheplace; 8th February 2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 8th February 2018, 12:49 PM   #42
InSides is offline InSides
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceistheplace View Post
In my mind it is completely absurd bordering criminal that a switching device does not exist which can handle multiple (let’s say anything more than 2) TTs, any input either stepped up for MC or pass through for mm and even *gasp* handle both C and R loading.
Perhaps there is not a large enough market for a standalone device?

The Devialet amplifiers (well, their Expert series) allow for switching on-the-fly assignment of inputs and remote selection of, at the very least (1) amplification level, (2) C loading, (3) R loading and (4) compensation curve.

During play, from the remote.

So it is possible, and it does not degrade the sound, not to these ears.
Old 8th February 2018, 10:06 PM   #43
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Space: I'm guilty in the past of relay angst and using rotary switches. I am trying a different direction this time partly because I'm fed up with the wiring rats nest rotaries cause and the fact that some things you just can't easily do with switches.

The whole assembly and ADC is going to end up in the attached. The existing board is beyond redemption. Just not a good design, but the box is good and has WAF. If I lose the balance function I have just enough controls without drilling more holes in the front panel. BUT Can only be done with relays or equivalent and maintain my sanity .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg counterpoint.jpg (111.8 KB, 135 views)
Old 9th February 2018, 03:41 AM   #44
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

Since at a time you will be using only one phono preamplifier, you can use three way on off power switch. This way only one preamplifier is ON at anytime. Will that work ?
Click the image to open in full size.
Regards
Old 10th February 2018, 08:25 PM   #45
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Those big power switches are for POWER. The contact alloy will tarnish, but 240V 20A will blow-through the tarnish. They would not be first-choice for small audio.

However you can get them exceptionally low-price through Amazon, eBay, and direct from Asian web-shops, so would cost little to try.
Old 11th February 2018, 12:26 AM   #46
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by udok View Post
Read relays have magnetic contacts - lot of distortion and no go for audio
B.S. Are you just quoting internet wisdom or have you measured it? I've designed audio test instruments for semiconductor ATE and was never able to measure any distortion attributable to the Pickering reed relays I used. The measurement system SFDR while not state of the art was better than -100dBFS.

There are many relays and switches that are not suitable for switching low level audio, IMLE reed relays are amongst the most suitable choices with long lived hermetically sealed contacts of the appropriate metallurgical qualities for the task. You of course have to purchase the correct one.
Old 11th February 2018, 08:49 AM   #47
Hans Polak is offline Hans Polak  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Magnetic contacts, lots of distortion, what else have we missed.
I wonder that a small Relay can be criticized to such a degree.

What about the contacts on the Cart itself, neighbouring to very strong magnets.
And what about all the Cinch or Din connectors in the line.

The whole matter is grossly overestimated, and every gold-plated miniature relay or the somewhat larger reed relay can do a perfect job.

Hans
Old 11th February 2018, 05:55 PM   #48
Calvin is offline Calvin  Germany
diyAudio Member

Old 12th February 2018, 03:17 AM   #49
Hiten is offline Hiten  India
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
Those big power switches are for POWER. The contact alloy will tarnish, but 240V 20A will blow-through the tarnish. They would not be first-choice for small audio.

However you can get them exceptionally low-price through Amazon, eBay, and direct from Asian web-shops, so would cost little to try.
Indeed it was for power switch. I was thinking more in the line as below....

Both turntable and both phono preamplifier will be connected to amplifier. (Kind of parallel signal out from both preamp to single amplifier) However the preamplifiers will obviously have two power supplies and with the switch I mentioned will only have option to turn on any SINGLE phono preamplifier. No chance of turning both, so other switched off preamplifier will not be sending any signal to MAIN amplifier. This way one has solid connections of Interconnect cables. Will that work ?
Regards
Old 12th February 2018, 08:45 AM   #50
billshurv is offline billshurv  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Generally not good practice to have unpowered circuits hanging in parallel with powered ones. I would not consider that as an option. Once you have gone through the phono pre you will be in the 0.5v range so any relay will do the job fine. Before as several people have mentioned, it's a case of picking the right relay.

Phono switching with relays.Hide this!Advertise here!